Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Can't Compile: Missing AndroidManifest.xml(Trouble compiling an Android app, missing xml file?)
Can't Compile: Missing AndroidManifest.xml [message #671416] Tue, 17 May 2011 19:30 Go to next message
Vince  is currently offline Vince Friend
New to Eclipse and trying to compile an Android app. To the best of my knowledge, I have installed the ADT on Eclipse as well as the Android SDK on my system. I have not yet successfully compiled any app with Eclipse yet, FYI. I am trying to compile from an existing source code that was produced by another coder. Every time during compiling, I received a similar error indicating the AndroidManifest.xml file cannot be read or found. Here is one example:

2011-05-17 08:02:09 - com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.project.AndroidManifest Helper] Unable to read C:Program Files (x86)Androidandroid-sdkplatformsandroid-4samplesAndroidManif est.xml: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:Program Files (x86)Androidandroid-sdkplatformsandroid-4samplesAndroidManif est.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)

Any recommendation for my next step? I'm at a lost. I am not a programmer BTW, please be patient with me. Thanks in advance!

Vince
Re: Can't Compile: Missing AndroidManifest.xml [message #671451 is a reply to message #671416] Tue, 17 May 2011 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan  is currently offline Ryan Friend
Within the program file (workspace\nameofproject) there should be an AndroidManifest XML file. If you start a new Android Project with Eclipse it will create one for you. Did you just copy the files without creating a new project? If so I would either start a new project and copy the files into that or just make a new manifest file by creating a new xml file with Eclipse.

The android developer website has all the information you need on these files. Try googleing it. I would share the link but apparently I can't until I post 4 more replies
Re: Can't Compile: Missing AndroidManifest.xml [message #671464 is a reply to message #671416] Wed, 18 May 2011 01:50 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 2011.05.17 13:30, Vince wrote:
> New to Eclipse and trying to compile an Android app. To the
> best of my knowledge, I have installed the ADT on Eclipse
> as well as the Android SDK on my system. I have not yet
> successfully compiled any app with Eclipse yet, FYI. I am
> trying to compile from an existing source code that was
> produced by another coder. Every time during compiling, I
> received a similar error indicating the AndroidManifest.xml
> file cannot be read or found. Here is one example:
>
> 2011-05-17 08:02:09 -
> com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.internal.project.AndroidManifest
> Helper] Unable to read C:Program Files
> (x86)Androidandroid-sdkplatformsandroid-4samplesAndroidManif
> est.xml: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:Program Files
> (x86)Androidandroid-sdkplatformsandroid-4samplesAndroidManif
> est.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)
> Any recommendation for my next step? I'm at a lost. I am not
> a programmer BTW, please be patient with me. Thanks in
> advance!
>
> Vince

I would suggest following
http://www.vogella.de/articles/Android/article.html as a good introduction.
Previous Topic:getURLs of plugin
Next Topic:What Defines A Project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:27:26 GMT 2024