Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Noob questions
Noob questions [message #670303] Fri, 13 May 2011 13:09 Go to next message
Steve Blackwell is currently offline Steve BlackwellFriend
I have just started to use Papyrus and I have a few basic questions/observations.

First, the UI is not very intuitive and I can't find any useful help.
Specifically, I create a class diagram, drop in a class, give it a name and then try to add an attribute by clicking in the AttributeCompartment (tooltip tells me so) but no characters are accepted! Perhaps this is not how to add an attribute?

In a Use Case diagram, I add the actors and use cases but where to I put the narratives? In a comment? What is the intent here?

The Save option in the File menu is never active. This appears to be bug 337122. Kind of basic!

When a papyrus perspective is selected, the Update Software option in the help menu disappears. Is this by design?

Where are the release notes? I'm using version 0.8.0v201103161726.

I realize that I can't be of much help since I am new to this but if there is something I can do, please let me know.

Steve
Re: Noob questions [message #670329 is a reply to message #670303] Fri, 13 May 2011 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valerian Merkling is currently offline Valerian MerklingFriend
To add Attributes, drop a property in your class, in the AttributesCompartment.
Re: Noob questions [message #670338 is a reply to message #670329] Fri, 13 May 2011 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I do that and try to edit the property label, eclipse locks up and has to be restarted.
Re: Noob questions [message #671015 is a reply to message #670338] Mon, 16 May 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valerian Merkling is currently offline Valerian MerklingFriend
Oww ...

Then i can't help you ! Sorry. I think somethings is wrong with your configuration / Installation.
Re: Noob questions [message #671023 is a reply to message #670338] Mon, 16 May 2011 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I created a bug about the freeze, #345960 (Bugzilla thinks I'm too much of a noob to use links ;-P)

I have found a way to work around the problem by cancelling the Edit Label dialog and using the Properties view editor.

I'm still looking for answers to my other questions Smile

Thanks,
Steve
Re: Noob questions [message #672332 is a reply to message #670303] Fri, 20 May 2011 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tessier is currently offline Patrick TessierFriend
Quote:
In a Use Case diagram, I add the actors and use cases but where to I put the narratives? In a comment? What is the intent here?

If you want to put in the model the narrative, you need to associate a comment. I could be usefull for model transformation...

But if you want to associate a file for example a doc word, you can click on the small green plus at left bottom of your selected element and choose tab "document hyperlink" then add it.

The Save option in the File menu is never active. This appears to be bug 337122. Kind of basic!

it is stange, I will read the associated bug

When a papyrus perspective is selected, the Update Software option in the help menu disappears. Is this by design?

the papyrus perspective hides all menus that are declared as " we want to see". this is in the perspective to not complexify it use by the adding of all possible menu and actions.

So we need only to add it in our configuration.

Where are the release notes? I'm using version 0.8.0v201103161726.

I do not think so. I will verified with sebastien

I realize that I can't be of much help since I am new to this but if there is something I can do, please let me know.

Your comments are welcome, but we need to be more reactive in this forum
Re: Noob questions [message #672399 is a reply to message #672332] Fri, 20 May 2011 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sébastien Gérard is currently offline Sébastien GérardFriend
About the save action, it is known bug we try to fix: the save action is not available when the diagram editor has the focus. If you have an idea, you can provide us a patch.

For activating the save menu, you may select the model browser.
Re: Noob questions [message #673764 is a reply to message #672399] Tue, 24 May 2011 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the tips.

I can take a look at the Save issue. What the bug number?
Where are the docs to setup a development environment?
Is it as simple as installing Subclipse and pointing to the Papyrus development branch?
If so, what is the web address for that beanch?

Steve
Re: Noob questions [message #674291 is a reply to message #670338] Thu, 26 May 2011 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have updated to the latest version of Papyrus, 0.8.0.v201105250947, and the original problem I was having with the property label editor has gone away. I don't know if it has been fixed or just avoided because now when I drop a property into a class, the property label editor dialog is no longer displayed.
Either way, it is better.
Re: Noob questions [message #675067 is a reply to message #674291] Mon, 30 May 2011 08:34 Go to previous message
Patrick Tessier is currently offline Patrick TessierFriend
for the version 0.8.0 this the head the svn address is http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.mdt.papyrus/trunk
Previous Topic:Deployment diagram
Next Topic:Update problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:22:29 GMT 2024