Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors
XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668395] Thu, 05 May 2011 14:31 Go to next message
Brian Fitzpatrick is currently offline Brian FitzpatrickFriend
Ok, I know it's been a few weeks since I last updated the Sapphire frameworks and my Sapphire-based editor, but now that I've worked past the build issues, I'm getting a lovely blank outline page in the editor with no warnings or errors to guide me.

What's changed since April 11 (yes, I know a lot has changed) that would cause this kind of behavior?

Any ideas? I'm blind hunting for hay-colored needles in the haystack at this point.

Thanks in advance.
--Fitz

Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668396 is a reply to message #668395] Thu, 05 May 2011 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even the Outline view is not being populated, which makes me think the underlying model based on the XML isn't being generated at runtime for some reason....
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668398 is a reply to message #668396] Thu, 05 May 2011 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
I've seen some issues when the model impls are not generated due to annotation compiler bugs in Eclipse. Does your apt-generated folder contain all the classes it should?

My only solution was to remove all the @GenerateImpl and then add them back one by one to see which class file is causes a problem.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2011 14:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668400 is a reply to message #668398] Thu, 05 May 2011 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. That was the first thing I thought myself. All the classes seem to be there with no build problems.
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668401 is a reply to message #668400] Thu, 05 May 2011 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW Greg - it's great seeing more folks involved in Sapphire!
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668402 is a reply to message #668400] Thu, 05 May 2011 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take a look at the migration doc for 0.3 I know that a couple of builds back I had to do a regex search and replace. Konstantin made some changes to made content node list properties more flexible, so that changed some element names for content node lists.

The following Eclipse search/replace regular expressions can be used to perform this migration. Here is copy and past from <doc>/html/releases/0.3/migration.html

Scope: *.sdef
Search: (?s)<node-list>
Replace: <node-factory>

Search: (?s)</node-list>
Replace: </node-factory>

Search: (?s)<node-template>
Replace: <case>

Search: (?s)</node-template>
Replace: </case>

Search: (?s)<node-ref>
Replace: <node-include>

Search: (?s)</node-ref>
Replace: </node-include>

Search: (?s)<node-list-ref>
Replace: <node-include>

Search: (?s)</node-list-ref>
Replace: </node-include>
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668404 is a reply to message #668402] Thu, 05 May 2011 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beautiful. I figured it was just something I missed along the way. I'll give that a shot. Smile

Thanks Greg!
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668406 is a reply to message #668395] Thu, 05 May 2011 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And there was much rejoicing. Many thanks Greg for pointing me in the right direction!
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668408 is a reply to message #668401] Thu, 05 May 2011 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Fitzpatrick wrote on Thu, 05 May 2011 10:56
BTW Greg - it's great seeing more folks involved in Sapphire!

Its funny. I've been developing Eclipse plugins and thus SWT/JFace UIs for several years and still I find it very tedious and slow process. I knew that the EMF guys had some tooling to define a model and spit out editors but I never had the time to learn it. Then along come Sapphire and it looks to have hit the sweet spot.

For my plans, I have 2 editors I'm building right now that are just front-ends for editing XML files (Sapphire's bread and butter). I have 4 or 5 more editors planned if these go well. I also hope to see Sapphire continue to add even more killer features like Content Assist for property editors that point to Java classes, etc. In the past I would have added something like that in a one-off/ad-hoc fashion to one of my own UIs but doing it in a standardized and write-it-once-apply-it-anywhere type of way that sapphire requires is a much better approach.

Sapphire, FTW!

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2011 15:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668409 is a reply to message #668408] Thu, 05 May 2011 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Totally agree. I've been involved with Eclipse for a very long time, developing views, editors, and the like. And editors have always been more than a bit of a challenge.

By standardizing on one framework, we gain all kinds of benefits, from simple consistency to just making it a ton easier to develop editors that have in the past been serious resource hogs from a development perspective...

I'm definitely a fan of Sapphire. If we can get this one editor going, I can think of at least two others and possibly more that would benefit from this approach!!

As you said - Sapphire FTW! Smile
Re: XML Editor no longer coming up, with no errors [message #668447 is a reply to message #668395] Thu, 05 May 2011 16:57 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Very cool to see adopters helping each other like this. That's why I love the open source communities.

Brian, make sure to review the rest of the migration guide. They may be other more subtle migrations you need to apply. Unfortunately, the migration guide is written for people moving from the 0.2 release, so there is no easy way to find updates from one build to another when tracking intermediate builds. I guess you could pull up the revision history of the migration guide doc in CVS and look at the dates...

> I also hope to see Sapphire continue to add even more killer
> features like Content Assist for property editors that point to Java
> classes, etc.

I have actually done some work on this for the 0.3 release. See the gallery sample. We have type browsing, type navigation (ctrl-click) and type validation (existence, kind, implements/extends).

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:New @ProjectRelativePath annotation
Next Topic:Custom Pages and on Change event
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:59:05 GMT 2024