Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » backup/restore an Eclipse application environment(Is there a way to backup and restore an Eclipse application environment?)
backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #668043] Tue, 03 May 2011 14:03 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
Hi,

I'm running Eclipse SDK, Version: 3.5.2 and developing a java application on it. I'm pretty happy with the Eclipse environment but I have one problem. I have had to change PCs several times in the last 2 years and each time, it takes much too long before the dust settles and I'm back to business as usual.

I would like to back up my relevant Eclipse environment and two ways that come to mind are: a) archive and restore the environment by creating a tar ball, and b) save and restore the configuration file. I have searched the forum database and the online documents and as yet have not found a description.

To create a tar ball, I would have to know the relevant directories/files to archive and I'm not sure what that would be.

Can anyone help with pointers on how to backup and restore?
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #668304 is a reply to message #668043] Thu, 05 May 2011 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Generally, the eclipse folder and the workspace folder should be good enough. However, it could depend on your setup and the plugins you use.
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #1770960 is a reply to message #668043] Sat, 19 August 2017 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Voris is currently offline Ben VorisFriend
I too am struggling to find a way to recreate an Eclipse environment in less than several hours. Thus far, the only approach that has worked for me has been to install a fresh copy of Eclipse, reconfigure the plugins, shutdown, and then copy in a backup of the workspace.

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/801085/ says that "workspaces aren't transportable to the new environment", but does not seem to say (as least in a way that I understand) if that is a general issue or if there is something specific to that question that keeps them from being portable. Nor does is provide a reference as to why they are not portable. However, it seems to me that workspaces are sometimes portable as I've been able to move them between Windows 7 and Windows 10 when running the same Eclipse version on a 64-bit version of Java. However, as I say, both systems installed Eclipse from scratch.

It seems to me that, at least on MS-Windows, there are some directories involved beyond %USERPROFILE%\.eclipse, and I don't know how to find them all or if they are portable or not.

For example, I cannot move an egit setup between systems. The git repositories, themselves, move without difficulty and can be manipulated in Cygwin. egit sees the repositories, but the team view seems broken in ways I don't understand.
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #1772616 is a reply to message #1770960] Wed, 13 September 2017 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
If restoring from local history does not work, then you are out of luck i'm afraid.. the point of deleting files, is to DELETE them.. not ever needing them back. my suggestion is be more careful when deleting and use a Source Control Management software like SVN or Git, so you can version your files to prevent things like this from happening again.
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #1772674 is a reply to message #1772616] Wed, 13 September 2017 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where you you see the word "delete"? The question is about instantiating a new Eclipse environment that is exactly the same as some existing environment - same plugins, same workspace, same tweaks.

In other words, what does one backup on one's current system in order to restore it to working order on a new system?
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #1772675 is a reply to message #1772616] Wed, 13 September 2017 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where you you see the word "delete"? The question is about instantiating a new Eclipse environment that is exactly the same as some existing environment - same plugins, same workspace, same tweaks.

In other words, what does one backup on one's current system in order to restore it to working order on a new system?
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #1832301 is a reply to message #668043] Tue, 15 September 2020 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barodius 64 is currently offline Barodius 64Friend
I have a solution
Re: backup/restore an Eclipse application environment [message #1832691 is a reply to message #1832301] Wed, 23 September 2020 11:49 Go to previous message
Mark Smith is currently offline Mark SmithFriend
A version control system is perfect for you. Eclipse allows to clone your repository into a version control system such as CVS, SVN, Mercurial, Clearcase, Git, etc
Previous Topic:JAVA_HOME
Next Topic:Creating Oracle Connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:32:52 GMT 2024