Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Search Index incomplete(When a new document (jar) is added, new topics are not part of the search results)
Search Index incomplete [message #667270] Wed, 27 April 2011 18:28 Go to next message
Robert.PearsonFriend
Recently it has been noticed that the search index is not indexing new documents added to my (internal) Eclipse server.

For example, if I add Product A and search for "Feature Q" I will not find anything, but I know it is there because I can, through the TOC, locate what I am looking for.

One "missing" word was finally indexed after several days; others remain missing.

Since we have noticed the problem, the eclipse server has been restarted repeatedly; the computer itself less often. Is it a reboot issue? Something else?

Thanks.

RP
Re: Search Index incomplete [message #667275 is a reply to message #667270] Wed, 27 April 2011 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jennifer Skiendzielewski is currently offline Jennifer SkiendzielewskiFriend
We've found that the only reliable way to make sure that the help system is truly updated every time we change it is to delete most of the contents of the eclipse/configuration directory when you add new content.

The only things we leave behind are the config.ini and the org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator directory (and its contents). The next time the help system starts up, it's forced to regenerate the configuration information. I think that would solve the indexing problem too.

I'm not sure why changes are sometimes picked up and sometimes missed-- it's been a source of frustration for years. Maybe someone more technical than I can explain.

The only consolation I have is that our customers don't experience the same problem, because they don't update the help in the same we do.
Re: Search Index incomplete [message #667290 is a reply to message #667275] Wed, 27 April 2011 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
The search index is not rebuilt unless you update the version of the plug-in. This is what you would want for production use but is always confusing for documentation developers.
Re: Search Index incomplete [message #673717 is a reply to message #667290] Tue, 24 May 2011 14:30 Go to previous message
Robert.PearsonFriend
Ah, I understand what you mean Chris--and indeed this works!

A belated thanks for the input to both you and Jennifer.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to configure secure access to InfoCenter based on jetty?
Next Topic:InfoCenter supported web browser vendors and versions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:18:35 GMT 2024