Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » p2 bundle pooling breaks installs
p2 bundle pooling breaks installs [message #664072] Thu, 07 April 2011 12:12
Nigel Westbury is currently offline Nigel WestburyFriend
I have noticed that if one uses bundle pooling then bundles will be used from the pool to satisfy constraints even though the bundle is not available in the repositories available to the install. The bundle pool is acting as an additional repository. This is, in my opinion, incorrect behavior because it means the use of a bundle pool is not just a performance and disk-saving feature but it actually means the installation of one product will be different depending on what other products the user happens to have installed.

Specifically, in an environment where bundles are well controlled, it can result in, for example, a test version of a bundle that works only with a test server being used in a production install. This would happen if version 2 of a bundle containing data objects existed in the bundle pool, for whatever reason, but only version 1 is in the repository being used for the install and only version 1 works with the production servers.

The conclusion is that bundle pooling as currently implemented is not recommended in a production environment, nor in any environment where you might actually care what version you are running. However I thought I would run this by others in case I am missing something.
Previous Topic:XSDEcoreBuilder and XSD elements
Next Topic:IRegistryEventListener added(IExtension[] extensions) gets invoked more than once
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:14:29 GMT 2024