Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Problem keeping workspace while migrating eclipse installs if plugins installed(Is this a bug or working as designed?)
Problem keeping workspace while migrating eclipse installs if plugins installed [message #663808] Wed, 06 April 2011 14:40 Go to next message
Dave Nice is currently offline Dave NiceFriend
Hi there,

Our RCP product is updating from an eclipse 3.4 base to eclipse 3.6 and we are recommending that users reinstall rather than using the update mechanism.

Here is the situation in which I have a problem
1. I have a plugin installed which contributes a view, VIEW1, and i have that view shown in a perspective PERSP1. PERSP2 is my active perspective.
2. I reinstall eclipse (so I no longer have the plugin installed)
3. I start the new eclipse using the original workspace
4. I install the plugin again and restart eclipse as prompted
5. I switch to the perspective PERSP1 containing the view VIEW1
6. I receive this error:
"Unable to read workbench state. Reason: Problems occurred restoring perspective. Could not find view: VIEW1".

The problem seems to occur in step (4), when eclipse recognises that the view no longer exists and marks it as removed in the workbench.xml file.

The current workaround is to reset the perspective after receiving the error. Or by not allowing eclipse to restart at (4) you can kind of work around it. I think you would also be able to install the plugins headlessly without starting eclipse proper, although I haven't tried it.

The question is, why doesn't eclipse automatically detect at step (5) that the removed views have now been reinstated?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Re: Problem keeping workspace while migrating eclipse installs if plugins installed [message #664308 is a reply to message #663808] Fri, 08 April 2011 10:55 Go to previous message
Dave Nice is currently offline Dave NiceFriend
I raised bug 342215 about this behaviour.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=342215
Previous Topic:Displaying line.separator in problem view
Next Topic:"Clear workspace" action
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:25:15 GMT 2024