Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Help system in e4
Help system in e4 [message #663702] Wed, 06 April 2011 09:11 Go to next message
Kevin Smit is currently offline Kevin SmitFriend
Hello,

I found a lot of tutors on the net how to set up an help system in a eclipse 3.x rcp app. My question how is this done in an eclipse e4 app.

I use the Applicatione.4XMI file to create a menu, command and handler. After that i open my handler code and ...

In the tutors the code: Platformui.getworkbench().gethelpsystem() comes up to open the help system.

I don't think e4 uses this approach anymore so how to invoke the helpsystem in a native e4 application without compatability layer.

Thanks for the help.
Re: Help system in e4 [message #787374 is a reply to message #663702] Tue, 31 January 2012 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lars Vogel is currently offline Lars VogelFriend

I think the help system is currently not supported in Eclipse 4.2.
Re: Help system in e4 [message #787376 is a reply to message #787374] Tue, 31 January 2012 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

The help system is in Eclipse 4.2 (the workbench) but it is not available in the E4EAP, Eclipse4 based applications.

PW

Re: Help system in e4 [message #918347 is a reply to message #787376] Fri, 21 September 2012 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Navin is currently offline James NavinFriend
Has there been any progress made in making the help system available in eclipse 4 applications?

If not, is there a recommended way of embedding the eclipse 3 system in an v4 application?

Thanks all.

James Navin
Re: Help system in e4 [message #923790 is a reply to message #918347] Wed, 26 September 2012 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Tepp is currently offline Roland TeppFriend
I think you are mixing up e4 framework with Eclipse 4.x workbench products.

Eclipse 4.x (the workbench) already has the help system - the same one
that is available to Eclipse 3.x through the compatibility layer.

e4 - (the framework) has no such thing. And is not very likely to get
one in a short while. But it has all the building blocks afailable for
you to build one, if that is what you need.

21.09.2012 3:21, James Navin kirjutas:
> Has there been any progress made in making the help system available in
> eclipse 4 applications?
>
> If not, is there a recommended way of embedding the eclipse 3 system in
> an v4 application?
>
> Thanks all.
Re: Help system in e4 [message #1097012 is a reply to message #923790] Thu, 29 August 2013 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cun xiang zhang is currently offline cun xiang zhangFriend
Hi Roland,

I'm also trying to find a way to reuse helpsystem in pure e4 application on Kepler. It seems there is no easy way. You mentioned building blocks are there for creating such help UI, could you tell me more detail? what're them? and does the target UI contain function like index, search, bookmark in E3 by default? Many thanks.
Re: Help system in e4 [message #1220234 is a reply to message #1097012] Tue, 10 December 2013 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rita Gomez is currently offline Rita GomezFriend
Has anybody managed to add a help system to a pure E4 RCP application? I am using Eclipse 4.3 and I have no idea of how to implement this.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 December 2013 14:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Help system in e4 [message #1220283 is a reply to message #1220234] Tue, 10 December 2013 20:10 Go to previous message
Eric Moffatt is currently offline Eric MoffattFriend

It may well be possible to scrape most of the useful code out of the existing Eclipse IDE, leaving behind all the trailing IDE references. The reason that it's been sooooo hard to port existing views / commands / Help System to e4 is that the nature of the API defined for eclipse is *highly* self-referential, making it nearly impossible to split off the functionality from the framework (i.e. the second you reference any of IWorkbench[Window | Page] you're doomed because those interfaces directly reference not only each other but almost all of the IDE's services...).

Most of it seems to be a fairly straightforward contract where the 'context' (current Dialog / part...) defines the
current 'HELP_ID' which is then used to look up the proper URL / local html...
Previous Topic:Creating a command line/no GUI application
Next Topic:Create extendable PopupMenu for an SWT Component via EMenuService
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:08:07 GMT 2024