Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Feature Request - Atomic Checkins across Eclipse Projects(When checking in files in multiple Eclipse Projects, SVN gives each project its own revision number)
Feature Request - Atomic Checkins across Eclipse Projects [message #663406] Mon, 04 April 2011 21:31 Go to next message
Steve Cohen is currently offline Steve CohenFriend
When checking in files across multiple Eclipse projects with subversive, the checkins of each project get different revision numbers. I used to use subclipse and although I prefer subversive in general, this was one area where subclipse stood out - it offers this feature and if memory serves, this was explained to me as a subclipse extra not supported in SVN itself. I was noticing that over the past year, about the time frame when I made the switch, I am burning through revision numbers much more rapidly than I used to. Not that that matters - revision numbers are, of course, free - what matters is the ability to have commits made in the same action have the same version number. Without that, the commits are not truly atomic.

This is a frequent use case for me. Atomic commits should not care which project they live in. And in my case even the justification that SVN doesn't natively support checkins across projects doesn't hold water. My scheme is multiple eclipse/maven projects all under one SVN uber-project in which each eclipse project is represented in SVN as a subdirectory of the uber-project.

But whether one uses an SVN uber-project or not, being able to commit across projects with a single revision number is a nice feature to have and a legitimate feature request.

Or am I just missing a setting somewhere?

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2011 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Feature Request - Atomic Checkins across Eclipse Projects [message #742382 is a reply to message #663406] Thu, 20 October 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dan carter is currently offline dan carterFriend
Can i second this request.

Atomic commit is absolutely essential for any serious development, especially where you are have support branches and need to merge revisions back and forward.

I've just upgraded to eclipse 3.7 and thought i'd give subversive a go as it's now the official subversion plug-in.

SVNKit doesn't work for me, at best it's really slow, but mostly it complains about random server communication errors. Connectivity using JavaHL is fine, but when i commit it breaks a single checkin to one checkin per project.

I have to drop to the commandline, cd to the eclipse workspace, and checkin using commandline svn.

I'll have to uninstall subversive and install subclipse so that i can checkin from within eclipse again. (subclipse supports atomic commits)
Re: Feature Request - Atomic Checkins across Eclipse Projects [message #753827 is a reply to message #742382] Sat, 29 October 2011 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olly2 Mising name is currently offline olly2 Mising nameFriend
Well,
I think it is not possible to commit in two seperated projects using a single commit. Subversion is still used by both Subversive and Subclipse. It seems to be a basic design principal of SVN that a commit allways comes from a working copy. So, a working copy is something that has exactly one starting directory - and this is sometimes confusing as eclipse allows to link in other directories as well and these will never be part of the subversion working copy so you cannot commit to thoses at all.

Comming back to the problem: you must understand the basic working principles of SVN - and this includes "one commit per WC".

Sorry,
Olly
Re: Feature Request - Atomic Checkins across Eclipse Projects [message #753922 is a reply to message #753827] Sun, 30 October 2011 15:44 Go to previous message
dan carter is currently offline dan carterFriend
olly2 wrote on Fri, 28 October 2011 23:26
Well,
Comming back to the problem: you must understand the basic working principles of SVN - and this includes "one commit per WC".

Yes i understand this, and my complaint is that subversive with JavaHL does not allow this.

SVN is perfectly capable of committing two sub directories in the same WC in one commit, but where those two subdirectories are eclipse projects, opened as projects in the eclipse workspace, subversive is not able to follow this fundamental SVN principle.

From my subversive checkout, i can edit files in eclipse, then use tortoise or svn on the eclipse workspace to commit attomically. But if you use subversive to commit you get one commit per project.

I have uninstalled subversive, and installed subclipse. From the same workspace/checkout, subclipse is able to commit atomically using JavaHL.

I've raised an enhancement request, but for now subclipse does everything i need.

bugzilla 362182
Previous Topic:SVN Actions From Eclipse Helios
Next Topic:Support Subversion 1.7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:22:48 GMT 2024