Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Proxy resolval for EAttribute
Proxy resolval for EAttribute [message #660246] Thu, 17 March 2011 14:35 Go to next message
Daniel Strueber is currently offline Daniel StrueberFriend
Messages: 14
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
Hi,

I try to utilize an EAttribute in terms of a remote reference, since
using an EReference is not suitable in my special case for several reasons.
However, I have troubles resolving the Proxy.
Are EAttribute-Proxies generally intended to be resolved automatically
analog to EReferences?

Regards, Daniel
Re: Proxy resolval for EAttribute [message #660256 is a reply to message #660246] Thu, 17 March 2011 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: richkulp.us.NOSPAM.ibm.com

Hi,

EAttributes are just straight java class instances, such as String,
Integer, or some other class. These can't be "foreign" because foreign
refers to EMF EObjects in another EObject/Resource. Only EObjects have
the ability to be foreign and referenced.

--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: Proxy resolval for EAttribute [message #660257 is a reply to message #660246] Thu, 17 March 2011 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30551
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Daniel,

Comments below.

Daniel Strueber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to utilize an EAttribute in terms of a remote reference, since
> using an EReference is not suitable in my special case for several
> reasons.
Those reasons are?
> However, I have troubles resolving the Proxy.
> Are EAttribute-Proxies generally intended to be resolved automatically
> analog to EReferences?
No, absolutely not.
>
> Regards, Daniel
Re: Proxy resolval for EAttribute [message #660300 is a reply to message #660257] Thu, 17 March 2011 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Strueber is currently offline Daniel StrueberFriend
Messages: 14
Registered: March 2011
Junior Member
Ed Merks wrote:
>> I try to utilize an EAttribute in terms of a remote reference, since
>> using an EReference is not suitable in my special case for several
>> reasons.
>Those reasons are?

Most basically, I have a set of model instances that are
interconnected by remote EReferences, and I want to pass
them on to an external infrastructure that performs a
certain "for all" check on all EReferences, but is designed
to deal with local EReferences only. So my idea was to use
EAttributes to distinguish the remote from the local
references. I'm having different ideas for workarounds,
but none of them is really neat, so I thought of giving this
a try.

So thanks to both of you!
Re: Proxy resolval for EAttribute [message #660317 is a reply to message #660300] Thu, 17 March 2011 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30551
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Daniel,

Comments below.

Daniel Strueber wrote:
> Ed Merks wrote:
>>> I try to utilize an EAttribute in terms of a remote reference, since
>>> using an EReference is not suitable in my special case for several
>>> reasons.
>> Those reasons are?
>
> Most basically, I have a set of model instances that are
> interconnected by remote EReferences, and I want to pass
> them on to an external infrastructure that performs a
> certain "for all" check on all EReferences, but is designed
> to deal with local EReferences only. So my idea was to use
> EAttributes to distinguish the remote from the local
> references. I'm having different ideas for workarounds,
> but none of them is really neat, so I thought of giving this
> a try.
Nothing you said convinces me that you can't just use the existing proxy
mechanism. There are many interesting ways to specialize how proxies
are resolve and it's not so difficult to process a model instance
without resolving any proxies.

Maybe if you explain in a little more detail I could suggest some ideas
you might try.
>
> So thanks to both of you!
Re: Proxy resolval for EAttribute [message #660432 is a reply to message #660317] Fri, 18 March 2011 12:04 Go to previous message
Stefan Jurack is currently offline Stefan JurackFriend
Messages: 24
Registered: February 2010
Junior Member
Hi Ed,

Daniel and me intended to kind of eliminate remote references from a
transformation engine's perspective in order to perform transformations
on local models only while being embedded in a larger context.

However, we have found a proper way of dealing with this without the
need of introducing additional abnormal behavior to EMF models, as this
is rather a concern of the transformation engine than of EMF.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Stefan

Am 17.03.2011 21:10, schrieb Ed Merks:
> Daniel,
>
> Comments below.
>
> Daniel Strueber wrote:
>> Ed Merks wrote:
>>>> I try to utilize an EAttribute in terms of a remote reference, since
>>>> using an EReference is not suitable in my special case for several
>>>> reasons.
>>> Those reasons are?
>>
>> Most basically, I have a set of model instances that are
>> interconnected by remote EReferences, and I want to pass
>> them on to an external infrastructure that performs a
>> certain "for all" check on all EReferences, but is designed
>> to deal with local EReferences only. So my idea was to use
>> EAttributes to distinguish the remote from the local
>> references. I'm having different ideas for workarounds,
>> but none of them is really neat, so I thought of giving this
>> a try.
> Nothing you said convinces me that you can't just use the existing proxy
> mechanism. There are many interesting ways to specialize how proxies
> are resolve and it's not so difficult to process a model instance
> without resolving any proxies.
>
> Maybe if you explain in a little more detail I could suggest some ideas
> you might try.
>>
>> So thanks to both of you!
Previous Topic:De-serialization of extended eCore models
Next Topic:Is it safe to call copyReferences() more than once on the same instance of EcoreUtil.Copier?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Oct 20 03:23:47 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01827 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top