Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file(How to link to an xml:id in another plugin?)
Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #658570] Wed, 09 March 2011 03:13 Go to next message
Maria R is currently offline Maria RFriend
Docbook 5, Eclipse 3.4.2, Infocenter

Can link from one help plugin to a file in another help plugin, but NOT to an IDREF in the file.

Tried 2 approaches to get this working so far.

from Docbook:

xlink:href="PLUGINS_ROOT/plugin.id.here/file.html#foo"
xlink:href="PLUGINS_ROOT/plugin.id.here/file.html%23foo"

to HTML like this downloaded from infocenter:

<a class="link" href="../plugin.id.here/file.html#foo" target="_top">
<a class="link" href="../plugin.id.here/file.html%23foo" target="_top">

to URLs like these when you right-click the hotspot and open a new window:

http://server:8080/help/index.jsp?topic=/plugin.id.here/file .html

http//server:8080/help/topic/plugin.is.here/file.html%23foo

"foo" has been stripped off the first URL.
The second URL opens the topic in a window without frames. If I copy the second URL and replace "topic" with index.jsp?topic=, I get a window with frames and the info at the "foo" anchor is on top. How can I get the help system to do this???
thanks

Re: Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #658823 is a reply to message #658570] Wed, 09 March 2011 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
I can confirm everything that you have observed. The first variant cannot work because the anchor is not passed to the server. The second variant because the %23 is interpreted as part of the file name by the FramesetFilter.

The syntax below seems to work

http://localhost:8081/help/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.ua.t ests/data/help/manual/anchors.html&anchor=two
Re: Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #659300 is a reply to message #658823] Fri, 11 March 2011 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Chris. However, I don't understand how/where to apply this solution. The XML editor and XML parser do not understand "&anchor=".

I know nearly nil about XSL, but, do I need to make a change in the XSL to get it to output something like this:

<a class="link" href="../plugin.id.here/file.html&anchor="foo" target="_top">?

(Parenthetical to solving my immediate problem: If anyone could comment and/or point me to some good reading material on the following, I'd appreciate it. Infocenter help comprehends fragment IDs in a fully qualified external link. (http://www.x.y.html#id) Why doesn't it seem to comprehend fragment IDs in a plugin? Is there a feature request for it? Is there a bug report for it? Is the solution to my problem to provide a fully qualified external link back into my infocenter? (I guess I can try that. It seems messy.)

Thanks for your help and kind regards.
Re: Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #659301 is a reply to message #659300] Fri, 11 March 2011 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I'm not understanding your original question. The help system itself can handle references to anchors but I'm not familiar with how DocBook works so I don't know what syntax it takes.

The output you are trying to get is

<a class="link" href="../plugin.id.here/file.html#anchorname" >?
Re: Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #660335 is a reply to message #659301] Fri, 18 March 2011 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Chris,

"The help system itself can handle references to anchors "
Can you point me to an example? Of XML and/or of the HTML?

The previous example: "The syntax below seems to work

http://localhost:8081/help/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.ua.t ests/data/help/manual/anchors.html&anchor=two"

might not help me because it might be something either typed into the browser address bar manually or produced by Infocenter/Eclipse. What HTML input could I feed into Infocenter/Eclipse to get it to spit out an address like the ones that work. (I'm stuck.)
Re: Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #660341 is a reply to message #659301] Fri, 18 March 2011 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Jerman is currently offline Steve JermanFriend
Hi,

I have been trying the various options. I have seen recommendations to use URLS like this:

<a href="PLUGINS_ROOT/{plugin-id}/page.html">here</a>

so that correct relative URL is created. Now the above will will work but any of the alternatives I have seen strip off the anchors. For example:

<a href="PLUGINS_ROOT/{plugin-id}/page.html#myAnchor">here</a >

<a href="PLUGINS_ROOT/{plugin-id}/page.html?anchor=myAnchor">here </a>

etc... They are all stripped off....

Are there any options using PLUGINS_ROOT that won't strip the anchor.

Note that we don't want to use an absolute URL (which we can get to work) because the deployment URL will vary.

Steve
Re: Infocenter: link to an anchor in another plugin goes to top of file [message #660532 is a reply to message #660335] Fri, 18 March 2011 21:59 Go to previous message
I just tried this html document which has a link to an anchor withing the platform tips and trics page and it worked fine.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Main Topic</title>
</head>

<body>
<h1>Main Topic</h1>
<a href=" PLUGINS_ROOT/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tips/platform_tip s.html#Editing ">Editing</a>
</body>
</html>
Previous Topic:Suppressing Contents topics for main books
Next Topic:Cheat sheets and Properties dialog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:00:35 GMT 2024