Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Breakpoint does not work(GDB does not stop at breakpoints)
Breakpoint does not work [message #648028] Mon, 10 January 2011 21:50 Go to next message
Alex is currently offline AlexFriend
There was a post on this issue a couple of years ago and a bug in Eclipse (242943). But the problem does not seem to be fixed. I am using Eclipse Helio with CDT and when I start debuggin the program, after setting all the breakpoints, it zips through all of them without ever stopping. The only workaround is to visit every breakpoint's source file to disable and reenable the breakpoint when the debugger stops at the first line of main(). It is very hard to debug in this fashion. Am I using the wrong version of Eclipse or the problem has not been completely fixed yet?
Re: Breakpoint does not work [message #648049 is a reply to message #648028] Tue, 11 January 2011 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Alex wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 16:50
There was a post on this issue a couple of years ago and a bug in Eclipse (242943). But the problem does not seem to be fixed. I am using Eclipse Helio with CDT and when I start debuggin the program, after setting all the breakpoints, it zips through all of them without ever stopping. The only workaround is to visit every breakpoint's source file to disable and reenable the breakpoint when the debugger stops at the first line of main(). It is very hard to debug in this fashion. Am I using the wrong version of Eclipse or the problem has not been completely fixed yet?

It does not sound like the same issue is bug 242943. That bug was to allow setting of breakpoints while the program was running.

The way you describe your case, your program does stop on main but the breakpoints are still not set.

When your program stops on main, press "Skip all breakpoints" (the button with a blue circle and line through it in the breakpoints view), and then press it again. Does that help?

Marc
Re: Breakpoint does not work [message #648051 is a reply to message #648049] Tue, 11 January 2011 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, if I click on the 'Skip all breakpoints' button twice, i.e. disable and enable it, the program seems to stop in the correct breakpoint.
Re: Breakpoint does not work [message #648052 is a reply to message #648051] Tue, 11 January 2011 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way, the breakpoints are in source file of a library, not in the program file itself.
Re: Breakpoint does not work [message #648155 is a reply to message #648052] Tue, 11 January 2011 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Alex wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 20:32
By the way, the breakpoints are in source file of a library, not in the program file itself.

That explains it. The default debugger integration for Helios has a bug for this situation. It has been fixed in
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=248595
but will only be available in the next eclipse release.

You can use the workaround of the "skip all breakpoints" or you can use the old debugger integration which can handle this case in Helios. For the old debugger integration you go to your launch and look at the bottom for a hyperlink that says something like "Using GDB (DSF) Create process launcher - Select other..."
click on it and change the launch delegate to use "Standard Create Process Launcher".

Marc
Re: Breakpoint does not work [message #648998 is a reply to message #648155] Mon, 17 January 2011 07:30 Go to previous message
Michael Mising name is currently offline Michael Mising nameFriend
Marc Khouzam wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 09:14
For the old debugger integration you go to your launch and look at the bottom for a hyperlink that says something like "Using GDB (DSF) Create process launcher - Select other..."
click on it and change the launch delegate to use "Standard Create Process Launcher".

Marc

Doesn't work. Still the same
Previous Topic:Unresolved breakpoint
Next Topic:Breakpoint Installation Failure
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:36:22 GMT 2024