Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Order of precedence for properties
Order of precedence for properties [message #647497] Thu, 06 January 2011 17:01 Go to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
According to the BuckyBook v0.8, there are two contradictory statements on property precedence:

- properties set in a CQUERY override properties set in a properties file (table 10.1 on page 113) (this is for materialization)

- properties set in a properties file override properties in the CQUERY itself (the CQUERY editor page 54).

Which is it supposed to be?

Also, I'd like to specify some properties in a CQUERY which can be overridden in a headless build on the command line (for scripts) or edited in the CQUERY (for developers using the IDE) - however table 10.1 makes it clear that the command line does NOT override what's in the CQUERY. Why is that - this is the reverse to the precedence order for action invokations (see table 10.2).

On this note, what's the best way to make changes (updates; corrections) to BuckyBook - open a bugzilla, or is there a community-editable version?

Thanks
Re: Order of precedence for properties [message #647584 is a reply to message #647497] Fri, 07 January 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Hi Matthew,

Command line options should always override every other setting. If you are experiencing some other behavior, or if the
bucky book states differently, then that's a bug.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 2011-01-06 18:01, Matthew Webber wrote:
> According to the BuckyBook v0.8, there are two contradictory statements on property precedence:
>
> - properties set in a CQUERY override properties set in a properties file (table 10.1 on page 113) (this is for
> materialization)
>
> - properties set in a properties file override properties in the CQUERY itself (the CQUERY editor page 54).
>
> Which is it supposed to be?
>
> Also, I'd like to specify some properties in a CQUERY which can be overridden in a headless build on the command line
> (for scripts) or edited in the CQUERY (for developers using the IDE) - however table 10.1 makes it clear that the
> command line does NOT override what's in the CQUERY. Why is that - this is the reverse to the precedence order for
> action invokations (see table 10.2).
>
> On this note, what's the best way to make changes (updates; corrections) to BuckyBook - open a bugzilla, or is there a
> community-editable version?
>
> Thanks
>
Re: Order of precedence for properties [message #647637 is a reply to message #647584] Fri, 07 January 2011 14:18 Go to previous message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the clarification and quick reply. I did some further testing, and indeed there is a bug (this is with the latest headless buckminster as of yesterday). I have opened the following tickets:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=333743 for the bug

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=333747 for the documentation

Let me know if you need any further information.
Matthew
Previous Topic:Understanding uptodatepolicy
Next Topic:Can the component name in a CQUERY be overridden?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:21:08 GMT 2024