Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Gemini » Blueprint Spring support
Blueprint Spring support [message #647330] Wed, 05 January 2011 16:44 Go to next message
David Erickson is currently offline David EricksonFriend
Hi there-
I am curious about future plans for Blueprint's support of Spring. Particularly I understand its current code is completely from Spring DM, supports the osgi namespace in Spring configuration files, etc. Is the plan going forward to continue to support this namespace and fully support new Spring releases? Or will it over time be cut down to just support the Blueprint spec? It makes me nervous because it has been renamed to Blueprint with no mention of Spring.

Thanks,
David
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #647727 is a reply to message #647330] Sat, 08 January 2011 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #647804 is a reply to message #647330] Sun, 09 January 2011 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
I thought Virgo was mostly derived from Spring DM. Having both Oracle and
vmware involved one should assume, they work together well, but Gemini and
Virgo as such are two separate projects.
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #647812 is a reply to message #647804] Sun, 09 January 2011 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 07:43
I thought Virgo was mostly derived from Spring DM. Having both Oracle and
vmware involved one should assume, they work together well, but Gemini and
Virgo as such are two separate projects.

Virgo is derived from Spring DM Server, I'm much more interested in Gemini Blueprint's ongoing support and interaction with Spring.. any of the devs care to weigh in here?
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #647841 is a reply to message #647804] Sun, 09 January 2011 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mathieu Baudier is currently offline Mathieu BaudierFriend

I'm also sharing the OP concerns and more generally about Gemini Blueprint roadmap.

We have invested a lot in the excellent Spring Dynamic Modules for OSGi and use the 1.2.1 version (released one year ago) across all our projects.

We were very excited by Spring DM becoming an OSGi spec with Eclipse Gemini Blueprint its RI. But we are now slowly getting worried that the project is not really progressing toward a stable release.

Are we mistaken?
Is there still an interest for Spring/OSGi integration??

Argeo GmbH (Berlin) - http://www.argeo.org/
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #647913 is a reply to message #647841] Mon, 10 January 2011 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frieder Heugel is currently offline Frieder HeugelFriend
As far as I understand there are other ongoing efforts for blueprint implementations like Apache Geronimo blueprint (still active?) and Apache Aries. I took a quick look on the OSGi Blueprint Container Specs as well as on the Aries website but could not find any information if there will be support for Spring configuration files. Therefore I think it might be risky if Gemini Blueprint will be the only BP implementation supporting Spring. Maybe it would be a better solution if Spring is somehow going to support BP instead of a single BP implementation supporting Spring.

Anyway I'd like to second David's and Mathieu's question reqarding the Gemini Blueprint roadmap and Spring support.
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #647929 is a reply to message #647913] Mon, 10 January 2011 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Frieder Heugel wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 12:55
I took a quick look on the OSGi Blueprint Container Specs as well as on the Aries website but could not find any information if there will be support for Spring configuration files.

We are working on some support for config admin (and custom namespaces) in blueprint inside the OSGi Alliance. I believe a draft spec will be issued before long and some prototyping of the changes will take place in the Gemini Blueprint project.
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #648009 is a reply to message #647330] Mon, 10 January 2011 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Costin Leau is currently offline Costin LeauFriend
Hi,

Regarding Spring support - this will always be there as long as Blueprint will be based on Spring. Blueprint is a subset of Spring so removing the Spring support means either replacing the container or restricting the user from accessing it.
Both alternatives are unlikely for the foreseeable future.

As for the roadmap, Spring DM is a mature project (despite what some think about its numbering) - the fact that a specification was built on it shows it. Just like Spring Web Services for example, the updates will come at a later much slower pace, if at all.
Most of the issue raised in JIRA in fact, are targeting the 'runtime container' behaviour (something that Virgo addresses rather then Blueprint).

As for Spring supporting BP - that's a different discussion but really considering the history of BP and the current Gemini Blueprint that's simply not needed - it's already there.
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #648015 is a reply to message #648009] Mon, 10 January 2011 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Costin-
Thanks for the reply. Please see inline-

Costin Leau wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 13:23

Regarding Spring support - this will always be there as long as Blueprint will be based on Spring. Blueprint is a subset of Spring so removing the Spring support means either replacing the container or restricting the user from accessing it.

The current case I fully understand, but almost inevitably Blueprint will eventually expand to include features that may not be covered directly by Spring, or could potentially even be in conflict, in this case I would assume you would just expand and build around the existing Spring code, but I wanted to understand if this is your intention?

Thanks,
David
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #648086 is a reply to message #648009] Tue, 11 January 2011 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mathieu Baudier is currently offline Mathieu BaudierFriend

As for the roadmap, Spring DM is a mature project (despite what some think about its numbering) - the fact that a specification was built on it shows it.

Spring DM is indeed mature and working very well (I wrote the version we use just for the sake of precision).

Actually we have problems only with its web deployment support and we would like to upgrade to Gemini Web. But we thought that we will do this in one go, with an update of Spring DM to Gemini Blueprint as well. Hence our wish for a stable release of the latter...

But take your time, as long as we know that the project is alive, we fully understand that "it will be ready when it is ready"!

Argeo GmbH (Berlin) - http://www.argeo.org/
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #648633 is a reply to message #647929] Thu, 13 January 2011 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
What are the connection points with Libra?
Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #650555 is a reply to message #648015] Tue, 25 January 2011 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, we intend to track Blueprint as it evolves - the intention is of course to support both Blueprint and Spring programming model at the same time - assuming that's not the case, the former will take precedence of course.

David Erickson wrote on Mon, 10 January 2011 21:55
Hi Costin-
Thanks for the reply. Please see inline-

The current case I fully understand, but almost inevitably Blueprint will eventually expand to include features that may not be covered directly by Spring, or could potentially even be in conflict, in this case I would assume you would just expand and build around the existing Spring code, but I wanted to understand if this is your intention?

Thanks,
David

Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #650556 is a reply to message #648086] Tue, 25 January 2011 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Mathieu,

In terms of release, we're working (with the rest of the Gemini project) on the graduation process as we speak. I'm not sure what the final schedule is but be sure that this will be communicated properly once it crystallizes.

Mathieu Baudier wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 10:08
As for the roadmap, Spring DM is a mature project (despite what some think about its numbering) - the fact that a specification was built on it shows it.

Spring DM is indeed mature and working very well (I wrote the version we use just for the sake of precision).

Actually we have problems only with its web deployment support and we would like to upgrade to Gemini Web. But we thought that we will do this in one go, with an update of Spring DM to Gemini Blueprint as well. Hence our wish for a stable release of the latter...

But take your time, as long as we know that the project is alive, we fully understand that "it will be ready when it is ready"!

Re: Blueprint Spring support [message #650559 is a reply to message #648633] Tue, 25 January 2011 14:20 Go to previous message
Werner Keil wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 19:43
What are the connection points with Libra?

Blueprint is a programming model targeted by Libra - to what degree though that's up to the Libra project mainly since the tooling integrates with the library (rather then the other way around).
If there's anything to do to help with the tooling, obviously we're open to it however from experience, the support it's already there for the most part.
Previous Topic:Combine Gemini Web and OSGi services
Next Topic:blueprint and spring annotations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:27:03 GMT 2024