Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0
unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #646908] Mon, 03 January 2011 02:52 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I used roo in eclipse to create a restful application. After starting virgo in eclipse (I get the same behavior if I copy the war file to the pickup directory after running mvn assembly:single to create the war outside eclipse), virgo generates deployment errors. Running on windows 7, 64bit.

Here's the console output. I have been unable to find the log where more specific information is provided. I have turned the logging to DEBUG but no additional info is present to help me identify the issue. Note that this version of roo uses spring 3.0.0 and this version of virgo uses 3.0.0. I do not know if the splash deployment error is significant but it could be. Its a different error than what I receive.

Any thoughts on debugging approaches that will produce more debug info or ideas on what to look for? Some of the forum posts/bug reports seem to suggest it could be spring version collision, but I don't know.

[2011-01-02 20:08:19.144] fs-watcher <HD0002E> Hot deploy failed for file 'org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash-2.1.0.RELEASE.war'. org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: The artifact bundle 'org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash' version '2.1.0.RELEASE' in scope 'null' at URI 'file:/C:/tmp/eclipse/virgo/virgo-web-server-2.1.0.RELEASE/p ickup/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash-2.1.0.RELEASE.war' cannot be stored in the runtime artifact model as it clashes with the artifact bundle 'org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash' version '2.1.0.RELEASE' in scope 'null' which is already present.
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApp licationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java :146)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApp licationDeployer.install(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:1 23)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApp licationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:19 0)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSyste mListener.deploy(HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.java:174)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSyste mListener.deployIfNotDeployed(HotDeploymentFileSystemListene r.java:186)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSyste mListener.onChange(HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.java:87)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.notifyListeners( FileSystemChecker.java:245)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.check(FileSystem Checker.java:166)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.WatchTask.run(WatchTas k.java:58)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.model.DuplicateFileNameExc eption: The artifact bundle 'org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash' version '2.1.0.RELEASE' in scope 'null' at URI 'file:/C:/tmp/eclipse/virgo/virgo-web-server-2.1.0.RELEASE/p ickup/org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash-2.1.0.RELEASE.war' cannot be stored in the runtime artifact model as it clashes with the artifact bundle 'org.eclipse.virgo.apps.splash' version '2.1.0.RELEASE' in scope 'null' which is already present.
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.model.internal.StandardRun timeArtifactModel.checkFileName(StandardRuntimeArtifactModel .java:94)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.model.internal.StandardRun timeArtifactModel.add(StandardRuntimeArtifactModel.java:72)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApp licationDeployer.addTreeToModel(PipelinedApplicationDeployer .java:240)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApp licationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java :144)
... 9 common frames omitted

[2011-01-02 20:08:23.283] Thread-13 <WE0005E> Failed to start web bundle 'codeset.model.roo' version '0.0.0': consult the serviceability log for further details.
[2011-01-02 20:08:23.299] start-signalling-2 <DE0006E> Start failed for bundle 'codeset.model.roo' version '0.0.0'. org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: Web application failed to start
at org.eclipse.virgo.web.core.internal.WebBundleLifecycleListen er.onStarted(WebBundleLifecycleListener.java:129)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ArtifactS tateMonitor.onStarted(ArtifactStateMonitor.java:205)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.AbstractI nstallArtifact.asyncStartSucceeded(AbstractInstallArtifact.j ava:273)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.AbstractI nstallArtifact.access$0(AbstractInstallArtifact.java:270)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.AbstractI nstallArtifact$StateMonitorSignal.signalSuccessfulCompletion (AbstractInstallArtifact.java:223)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.core.internal.BundleStartTracker$1. run(BundleStartTracker.java:140)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Threa dPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoo lExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.eclipse.gemini.web.core.WebApplicationStartFailedExcepti on: org.eclipse.gemini.web.core.spi.ServletContainerException: Web application at '/codeset.model.roo' failed to start. Check the logs for more details.
at org.eclipse.gemini.web.internal.StandardWebApplication.start (StandardWebApplication.java:107)
at org.eclipse.virgo.web.core.internal.WebBundleLifecycleListen er.onStarted(WebBundleLifecycleListener.java:120)
... 8 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.eclipse.gemini.web.core.spi.ServletContainerException: Web application at '/codeset.model.roo' failed to start. Check the logs for more details.
at org.eclipse.gemini.web.tomcat.internal.TomcatServletContaine r.startWebApplication(TomcatServletContainer.java:123)
at org.eclipse.gemini.web.internal.StandardWebApplication.start (StandardWebApplication.java:90)
... 9 common frames omitted
Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #646926 is a reply to message #646908] Mon, 03 January 2011 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

What is the state of your WAR in the admin console?

I guess you already checked the servicability/logs/codeset.model.roo folder. If not can you please consult the logs there?

Can you also search the logs for anything related with "listFiles"?
Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #646939 is a reply to message #646926] Mon, 03 January 2011 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll do that. But the war is uninstalled after it fails to install so there are no specific logfiles for the war.
Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #646991 is a reply to message #646939] Mon, 03 January 2011 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried to catch any files, but it looks like none are produced for that Roo war. I tried dropping other wars into the folder as well but no luck on any of them.

Looks like it is a general problem with the deployer and the splash screen issue may be part of it.

Any other ideas? Its a fresh installation and I have tried -clean multiple times. I'm unable to get the console to tell me anything either.

I have confirmed that everything works as I expect with mvn jetty:run and mvn tomcat:run so it appears to be a deployment issue in Virgo.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2011 21:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #647047 is a reply to message #646991] Tue, 04 January 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

I have Virgo running on 2 of my Windows 7 64 bit machines. The difference however is that I'm running it in the root (C: or D:) of the file system, because Windows has problems with long paths.

If deployment fails for every war it can be the same problem.

Can you please try to move Virgo to the root and also rename its folder to something shorter ("v" for instance)?

Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #647558 is a reply to message #647047] Fri, 07 January 2011 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After more investigation and opening a bug, the real issues appears to be that roo projects cannot be deployed to virgo server since roo does not produce OSGi compliant output per their target platforms which are non-osgi.

The real issues that even if I package the roo application as a war, it still does not run under virgo and virgo should be able to run wars okay.

I'll look into opening a bug that roo apps don't run in virgo even when packaged as a war. The same roo-based war runs in tomcat and jetty fine so it appears to be a virgo thing.
Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #855474 is a reply to message #647558] Tue, 24 April 2012 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gabriel Afonso is currently offline Gabriel AfonsoFriend
Virgo can only run app based on OSGi. Roo doesn't generated a MANIFEST.MF in his WARs with the necesary information to run correctly in OSGi environment. That is the reason why Tomcat and Jetty can run the app and Virgo can't deploy the app.
Re: unable to deploy roo 1.1.0 war on virgo web server 2.1.0 [message #856407 is a reply to message #855474] Wed, 25 April 2012 16:25 Go to previous message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Hi,

I cannot agree with you.

If an application can be deployed on Tomcat and the application has everything (dependencies) packed in WEB-INF/lib then it can be deployed on Virgo server also.

It is stated in the documentation - http://eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.0.2.RELEASE/docs/virgo-programmer-guide/htmlsingle/virgo-programmer-guide.html#architecture-wars

Regards
Violeta
Previous Topic:Activate simple logging for a bundle
Next Topic:Maven repository for Virgo 3.0.0 artifacts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:59:09 GMT 2024