Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Very slow editing of large files
icon8.gif  Very slow editing of large files [message #645595] Sat, 18 December 2010 13:51 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I have a brand new machine:

Intel Core i5 @ 3.33 GHz
4 Gig ram
Win 7
Java JRE6
Eclipse Helios PDT

yet PDT is slow as hell on files with > 1500 lines.

In a file with 2000 lines, when I type quickly for two seconds, it will take six (!) seconds for all the letters to show up on the screen.

This is extremely annoying. I actually bought a new machine partly because of this!

Has anybody a suggestion? I did follow some speed-up guidelines, like increasing ram to 512Mb, this didn't change anything.

(Unlike the guy from this post, I don't get any Java errors or so. It's just amazingly slow.)

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 13:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Very slow editing of large files [message #645620 is a reply to message #645595] Sat, 18 December 2010 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Un  is currently offline Un Friend
Does your PHP project have Javascript support enabled? If so, try removing it from the project's settings file (just delete the xml entry for the javascript builder as well as the javascript nature).

I had this problem as well and then found this bug report:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=283614

[Updated on: Sat, 18 December 2010 23:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Very slow editing of large files [message #646454 is a reply to message #645595] Fri, 24 December 2010 12:10 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I am not sure what you mean by "Javascript support enabled". I have no project-specific settings. And in the global eclipse configuration window, I have:
"JavaScript -> Editor -> Report problems as you type": on.
"JavaScript -> Validator -> Enable JavaScript semantic validation": off.

Anyway, due to a Win7 problem, I had to I reinstalled the whole machine. Now the slow editing problem does not occur anymore. Letters do not appear immediatley if typed in quickly, but the delay is small and acceptable.

Something related I noticed is that I am now able to pin Eclipse to the Win7 task bar, which did not work on the old instal..
Previous Topic:eclipse php plug ins for Ganymede J2EE IDE.
Next Topic:Please, need help ( from Indonesia )
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:33:31 GMT 2024