Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » WebApp Splitting(Possibility to split the UI part of a Webapp in multiple bundles which still act as 1 web app)
WebApp Splitting [message #645427] Fri, 17 December 2010 09:09 Go to next message
TSchoeftner is currently offline TSchoeftnerFriend
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Virgo's features and capabilits with respect to WebApps. - Maybe you can give me a hint. Smile

I have another web-project coming up which might require to split the UI (the web part) into separate bundles. Nevertheless, all WebApp parts should interact and appear as one application.

Does Virgo - more specifically the Virgo web container - support separation of a UI in multiple bundles?
What would be necessary to achieve that when using Virgo?

BTW, there's mainly 2 reasons for this requirement:
(1) A lot of new use cases (bizlogic & UI) will be added in subsequent projects and we want to leave pre-existing BL & UI parts unmodified (semantically & on file level) in order to shorten verification and acceptance processes.

(2) There will potentially be different versions with different feature sets installed deployed.

Thanks for any help!
-Tom
Re: WebApp Splitting [message #645441 is a reply to message #645427] Fri, 17 December 2010 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi Tom,

In short, YES.

We have a project called Snaps that runs on top of the Virgo Web server and can dispatch http requests off to different bundles allowing you to separate the UI in to multiple bundles while the user still sees a single joined up interface. The composite web application will share a single servlet context, the way requests are split out is based on the context path.

There is a little more information here, http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Future#Snaps

If this sounds useful feel free to ask for help setting up, it's quite simple but that's easy for me to say Smile

Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: WebApp Splitting [message #645468 is a reply to message #645441] Fri, 17 December 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that was fast... Smile
... and very helpful - thanks!

I can see that Snaps is still in prototype phase. - Is it already stable/safe to use in larger projects?

I've found installation instructions at http://joergviola.blogspot.com/2010/12/eclipse-virgo-snaps-m odular-web-apps.html
But still, any help setting it up is much appreciated!
Are the Snaps artifacts already available in a public repository (e.g. Ivy)?

Thanks a ton,
-Tom
Re: WebApp Splitting [message #645470 is a reply to message #645468] Fri, 17 December 2010 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 05:54
I've found installation instructions at http://joergviola.blogspot.com/2010/12/eclipse-virgo-snaps-m odular-web-apps.html
But still, any help setting it up is much appreciated!

Pls ignore, this last support request from me.
After reading through that post a 2nd time, I'll give it a shot.
I'll be back if I run into any troubles.

Thx,
-Tom

Re: WebApp Splitting [message #645475 is a reply to message #645470] Fri, 17 December 2010 11:16 Go to previous message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi,

Yes it is still a prototype but it's fairly stable and well used/tested. We just reserve the right to make changes before it's released.

As such the binaries aren't published anywhere but once you have built them there are samples you can play with and to install it is just a case of putting the bundles in the reposity/usr dir and the plan file in pickup. (If you plan to use it though I would use the initial artifact support to deploy snaps).

Have fun,
Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Previous Topic:Profile Virgo Application
Next Topic:Why two inter-dependent bundles are deployed successfully?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:56:57 GMT 2024