Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » Super linear memory growth with Ecore
Super linear memory growth with Ecore [message #641705] Fri, 26 November 2010 22:38 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi,

I haven't had a chance to do object profiling yet, but I have a case where my file sizes are growing quite rapidly relative to size, i.e. > O(n). It may just be a hockey stick shape, but in that case the change in steepness is large.

I would think that the growth should generally be linear, and looking at http://www.slideshare.net/kenn.hussey/performance-and-extens ibility-with-emf and other resources seems to support that. I'm using BinaryResourceImpl and MinimalEObject both of which made a big difference but obviously if I'm in O(n^k) nothin's gonna help for very long.

What I'm thinking is that there must be something in my model design itself that is leading to this. Obviously if I had some sort of pair-wise relations between all objects then that could grow at O(n^2) but my relations are pretty well contained, i.e. if these were CSV tables they should be linear and the XML files looked linear. Are there any gotchas with respect to setting up the model itself?

Is it possible that Edit is contributing anything to memory usage here, say in notification? I don't have an editor open, I'm programmatically writing to the resource.

thanks,

Miles
Re: Super linear memory growth with Ecore [message #641710 is a reply to message #641705] Sat, 27 November 2010 01:01 Go to previous message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Just a quick follow-up. I think the major part of the performance issue might actually be a leak on my end, that is the data writer side. I've found a candidate culprit, and I've noticed that the actual file size seems linear.
Previous Topic:Loading EMF Model from plugin-directory
Next Topic:How do I make sample EMF editor stop removing the package part of the object name?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:03:29 GMT 2024