Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » product definition
product definition [message #640017] Thu, 18 November 2010 16:57 Go to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
Hello,

I am trying to create product definition and not sure if I am creating it correctly. Product definition lives in a feature that has dependencies on the plugins that make up the product. In the dependencies section of product definition I include only the feature that it lives in. If I try to launch product like that it fails with this error:

!SESSION Thu Nov 18 10:20:52 EST 2010 ------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2010-11-18 10:20:52.041
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java: 546)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1212)

So I started adding different features as dependencies, o.e.equinox.executable, o.e.platform and even o.e.jdt and o.e.gef. If add these, plus o.e.dtp and o.e.emf that my plugins depend on then product launches fine. But I think that this is wrong - why do I need to add any of these if I have target platform that defines all of these dependencies. I tried to read some articles about product definition but could not find anything other than simple rcp examples. Can someone please help me understand what am I doing wrong here?

thanks for your help,
Alex
Re: product definition [message #642063 is a reply to message #640017] Mon, 29 November 2010 17:36 Go to previous message
Richard Adams is currently offline Richard AdamsFriend
Hello Alex
Your target platform contains all the plugins you need to compile against at development time. The product definition has to include ALL the plugins that a self-contained, deployed application will need at runtime. These plugins will include:

a) your own plugins particular to your app
b) Core eclipse plugins required for all Eclipse RCP apps (org.eclipse.rcp feature)
c) Other eclipse /3rd party plugins

So, if you have a single feature, all those plugins need to be included in that feature definition, and that single feature added to the prduct definition.
Possibly you may find it better to have 2 features - 1 'core' feature containing all basic Eclipse plugins, and 1 'application' feature which would contain your own plugins. Your product would then contain those 2 features. This will make it easier to bundle and deploy updates to your software if you use the update mechanism.

Hope this helps

Best wishes
Richard

Previous Topic:Simple configurator and dropins
Next Topic:p2 update site appearance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:35:05 GMT 2024