Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Using CreateChildCommand correctly?
Using CreateChildCommand correctly? [message #638826] Fri, 12 November 2010 16:55 Go to next message
TSchwalb  is currently offline TSchwalb Friend
Hi everyone,
I have looked through many webpages and examples, but I cannot figure out how to use the CreateChildCommand to create new model element of subclasses.

I have build a small example, which has three classes Main, Subclass and SubSubClass. Main has an Aggregation (0..*) to SubClass and SubClass has an Aggregation (0..*) to SubSubClass.
I have build a GMF editor to draw only SubClasses, which works perfect. I now want to build my own button, which creates a new SubSubClass below the selected subclass (to get the actual selected subclass is no problem). The SubSubClass does not need to be shown in the GMF editor.

I tried it using the following code (acutalSubClassEditPart is the EditPart of the subclass I want to add a subsubclass):

EditingDomain eddomain = acutalSubClassEditPart.getEditingDomain();
SubClassImpl dataElement = (SubClassImpl) ((NodeImpl) acutalSubClassEditPart.getModel()).getElement();
Object descriptor = dataElement.getSubSubClasses().iterator().next();
eddomain.getCommandStack().execute(CreateChildCommand.create (eddomain, descriptor, Diagramm1Factory.eINSTANCE.createSubSubClass(), null));

--> I am not sure according to the last parameter of the CreateChildCommand, but I read I can set it simple to null.

However I get the error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.ArrayList.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.emf.edit.command.CreateChildCommand.create(Creat eChildCommand.java:68)
at diagramm1.diagram.aown.ButtonHandler.execute(ButtonHandler.j ava:48)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(Handle rProxy.java:293)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command. java:476)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithCh ecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeComma nd(HandlerService.java:169)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.execute Command(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.handleWidgetSel ection(CommandContributionItem.java:820)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.access$19(Comma ndContributionItem.java:806)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem$5.handleEvent(C ommandContributionItem.java:796)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java :84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.ja va:4066)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :3657)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.jav a:2629)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2593)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:24 27)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:670)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault (Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:663)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start (IDEApplication.java:115)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Eclips eAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:369)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java: 619)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1383)

Any help or suggestion are greatly appreciated

[Updated on: Fri, 12 November 2010 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using CreateChildCommand correctly? [message #638828 is a reply to message #638826] Fri, 12 November 2010 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend

Hi,

and if you try to put an empty arralist instead of null?

Regards,

Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: Using CreateChildCommand correctly? [message #638830 is a reply to message #638826] Fri, 12 November 2010 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
thanks for your fast reply.

You mean the following code:
eddomain.getCommandStack().execute(CreateChildCommand.create (eddomain, descriptor, Diagramm1Factory.eINSTANCE.createSubSubClass(), new ArrayList()));

I get the following error:
java.lang.ClassCastException: diagramm1.impl.SubSubClassImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.emf.edit.command.CommandParameter
at org.eclipse.emf.edit.provider.ItemProviderAdapter.createComm and(ItemProviderAdapter.java:997)
at org.eclipse.emf.edit.domain.AdapterFactoryEditingDomain.crea teCommand(AdapterFactoryEditingDomain.java:464)
at org.eclipse.emf.edit.command.CreateChildCommand.create(Creat eChildCommand.java:66)
at diagramm1.diagram.aown.ButtonHandler.execute(ButtonHandler.j ava:49)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(Handle rProxy.java:293)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command. java:476)
at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithCh ecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeComma nd(HandlerService.java:169)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.execute Command(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.handleWidgetSel ection(CommandContributionItem.java:820)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.access$19(Comma ndContributionItem.java:806)
at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem$5.handleEvent(C ommandContributionItem.java:796)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java :84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.ja va:4066)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :3657)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.jav a:2629)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2593)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:24 27)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:670)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault (Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:663)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start (IDEApplication.java:115)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Eclips eAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:369)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java: 619)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1407)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1383)

Re: Using CreateChildCommand correctly? [message #639632 is a reply to message #638826] Wed, 17 November 2010 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend

Hi,

it seems that
Diagramm1Factory.eINSTANCE.createSubSubClass(

is not the right parameter for the CreateCommand.

It seems that you should give an org.eclipse.emf.edit.command.CommandParameter

Regards,

Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: Using CreateChildCommand correctly? [message #640218 is a reply to message #638826] Fri, 19 November 2010 15:40 Go to previous message
Hi,
I now solved the problem. I use an AddCommand instead of a CreateChildCommand, and now it works fine for the desired purpose.

Here is an example:
SubSubClass newSubSubClass = Diagramm1Factory.eINSTANCE.createSubSubClass();
eddomain.getCommandStack().execute(AddCommand.create(eddomai n, dataElement, Diagramm1Package.eINSTANCE.getSubClass_SubSubClasses(), newSubSubClass));

Regards,
Previous Topic:GMF Tooling Committers: Michael Golubev starts 100% as of 1.12.2010
Next Topic:Creating a parent element for a child node
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:31:57 GMT 2024