Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Alternative dependency sets for a common plug-in hierarchy(How to wire an interface to alternative implementations)
Alternative dependency sets for a common plug-in hierarchy [message #637589] Sun, 07 November 2010 11:52 Go to next message
Alex Mising name is currently offline Alex Mising nameFriend
Hello,

It's been a while since I've been coding on top of the Eclipse platform. Just today, I started on a pet project of mine and decided to give it ago using Eclipse. In order to also learn something new, I'm trying to create a UI that runs on top of both RAP and RCP. My goal is to have a common codebase (to the greatest extent possible) and then a couple of RAP-specific / RCP-specific bundles (for the stuff that simply must be different among the two).

Usually, I'd just add required plug-ins as dependencies. But now I'm in a situation where a bundle depends in an either/or fashion to something else. For example, one of "org.eclipse.ui" or "org.eclipse.rap.ui" needs to be present; but if neither is available then it's a problem. I added both as "optional" dependencies to my bundle, but this is not "perfect" because it would properly resolve even if neither of the two was in the launch configuration.

I'm currently thinking of importing a list of packages rather than depending on plug-ins, which would solve the problem (even though I'd have to define a rather long list of packages instead of just one of two plugins).

I thought however that I'd best ask if there is some "pattern" or general advice on how to go about structuring bundle dependencies for such situations. It seems to me that this is a generic problem and that Eclipse somehow is well-suited to address it, so there must be some dos and don'ts for this.

Kind regards,
Alex
Re: Alternative dependency sets for a common plug-in hierarchy [message #637673 is a reply to message #637589] Mon, 08 November 2010 10:13 Go to previous message
Alex Mising name is currently offline Alex Mising nameFriend
Well, to answer my own question: Search the web for "RAP single sourcing RAP" and you will find a lot of resources on what I was looking for.

The most valuable resource can be found here (requires free registration): http://eclipsesource.com/en/info/rcp-rap-single-sourcing-gui deline/
Previous Topic:repeated crash in 3.6.1 after 2 min of starting
Next Topic:Problem Starting glassfish server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:00:05 GMT 2024