Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Buckminster dev » Property Expansion for Environment Variables
Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637039] Wed, 03 November 2010 21:51 Go to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

I'm currently working on fixing
http://issues.hudson-ci.org/browse/HUDSON-7978 for the Hudson plugin.
I want to avoid to write ALL environment variables as JVM properties in
the command line because that would get huge. However, all necessary
values are set as environment variables of the buckminster process.
Is there currently a way to have properties replaced by environment
variables?
If not, what's your opinion in including envVars into the property
expansion?

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637094 is a reply to message #637039] Thu, 04 November 2010 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Messages: 3240
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I guess we could do it similar to how ant does it. I.e. ${env:someEnv} or perhaps even better, as Eclipse 'variables',
${env_var:someEnv}. The class where everything happens is name ExpandingProperties.

Regards,
- thomas


On 11/03/2010 10:51 PM, Johannes Utzig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on fixing
> http://issues.hudson-ci.org/browse/HUDSON-7978 for the Hudson plugin.
> I want to avoid to write ALL environment variables as JVM properties in
> the command line because that would get huge. However, all necessary
> values are set as environment variables of the buckminster process.
> Is there currently a way to have properties replaced by environment
> variables?
> If not, what's your opinion in including envVars into the property
> expansion?
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637109 is a reply to message #637094] Thu, 04 November 2010 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thank you for the Pointer, Thomas, I will start there.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637267 is a reply to message #637094] Thu, 04 November 2010 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi again,

I was having a look at the sources and was wondering what's the right
place to add these environment variables.
Would the static initializer of the RMContext be sufficient? It creates
the staticAdditions for the globalPropertyAdditions.
I was thinking of adding something like this to the initializer:
Map<String, String> env = System.getenv();
for (Entry<String, String> environmentVariable : env.entrySet()) {
additions.put("env_var:" + environmentVariable.getKey(),
environmentVariable.getValue()); //$NON-NLS-1$
}

Would that be the right place and right way to enable environment
variables for script files?

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637525 is a reply to message #637267] Sat, 06 November 2010 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Messages: 3240
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Johannes,

There are two ways of resolving this. Either you add all properties to the property sets that you want to use like you
suggest, or you let the ExpandingProperties recognize the ${env_var: prefix}. The advantage with the former is that it
is simple and that the environment is included when iterating over the keys in the map. The advantage of the latter is
that it will keep the map small (there's some copying going on) and is in line with current Eclipse functionality. My
vote is on the latter because the use of env_var is uncommon (you're the first one asking for it the four years
Buckminster has been active ;-) ) and we might have an urge to enable more prefixes.

Perhaps we should even consider having the ExpandingProperties consult the Eclipse property expander when we encounter a
prefix? That way all the eclipse specific properties would work. What do you think?

- thomas

On 11/04/2010 07:19 PM, Johannes Utzig wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I was having a look at the sources and was wondering what's the right
> place to add these environment variables.
> Would the static initializer of the RMContext be sufficient? It creates
> the staticAdditions for the globalPropertyAdditions.
> I was thinking of adding something like this to the initializer:
> Map<String, String> env = System.getenv();
> for (Entry<String, String> environmentVariable : env.entrySet()) {
> additions.put("env_var:" + environmentVariable.getKey(),
> environmentVariable.getValue()); //$NON-NLS-1$
> }
>
> Would that be the right place and right way to enable environment
> variables for script files?
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes
>
>
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637570 is a reply to message #637525] Sat, 06 November 2010 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Thomas,

please see comments below

Am 06.11.2010 08:20, schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> There are two ways of resolving this. Either you add all properties to
> the property sets that you want to use like you suggest, or you let the
> ExpandingProperties recognize the ${env_var: prefix}. The advantage with
> the former is that it is simple and that the environment is included
> when iterating over the keys in the map. The advantage of the latter is
> that it will keep the map small (there's some copying going on) and is
> in line with current Eclipse functionality. My vote is on the latter
> because the use of env_var is uncommon (you're the first one asking for
> it the four years Buckminster has been active ;-) ) and we might have an
> urge to enable more prefixes.
>
> Perhaps we should even consider having the ExpandingProperties consult
> the Eclipse property expander when we encounter a prefix? That way all
> the eclipse specific properties would work. What do you think?
>
> - thomas
>


What you say makes a lot of sense to me. Also consulting the Eclipse
property expander makes it very easy for users to contribute completely
new kinds of (dynamic) properties by creating an extension for
org.eclipse.core.variables.(dynamic/static)Variables and therefore
participating with very little effort in the buckminster property
expansion process.

The env_var prefix is contributed by org.eclipse.debug.core which is
part of a regular buckminster installation anyway, so no additional
bundles would be required for the desired functionality.

So far so good, but there's a few things I'm a little uncertain about:

1. API consistency
ExpandingProperties is often regarded as a simple Map from what I can
see in the source. Consulting the StringVariableManager during the
expansion but ignoring it during the other API methods might behave a
little inconsistent for API consumers. E.g.
"keySet() doesn't return my env_var:FOOBAR but 'expand' replaces the
value just fine"
Including the new variable scope in all methods might on the other hand
negate the advantage of keeping the map small.

2. The implementation
Using the StringVariableManager seems straight forward enough:
VariablesPlugin.getDefault().getStringVariableManager().perf ormStringSubstitution(expression,
false);
But ExpandingProperties is one of the core classes of Buckminster. It's
widely used and it seems a rather sophisticated implementation to me.
However, there don't seem to be any real unit tests in place for this
and I'm somewhat concerned of what I could break if include the
StringVariableManager there. Especially if you prefer to not only
include it in the property expansion, but keep the API consistent with
the new property scopes (because that'd mean to adjust quite a few of
the methods at once).

To wrap it up:

If you think env_vars and custom vars are corner cases and the Eclipse
mechanism should only be consulted during the actual expansion but
ignored in all other methodes, then I'd assume my changes should be made
around here in ExpandingProperties#checkedExpand :
Object propVal = (props instanceof ExpandingProperties<?>) ?
((ExpandingProperties<?>) props).getExpandedProperty(propKey,
recursionGuard + 1) : props.get(propKey);

But if you'd prefer that the other methods also include the additional
variable scopes for sake of consistency, then I'm afraid I'll need some
advice on how to apply the changes without breaking any of the classes
that depend on ExpandingProperties :-/


Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637576 is a reply to message #637570] Sun, 07 November 2010 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
Messages: 3240
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 11/07/2010 12:53 AM, Johannes Utzig wrote:
> To wrap it up:
>
> If you think env_vars and custom vars are corner cases and the Eclipse
> mechanism should only be consulted during the actual expansion but
> ignored in all other methodes

I do, since you have no way of finding all the Eclipse variables. You will find several prefixes similar to
workspace_loc where ${workspace_loc:xxx} may resolve to all resources in your workspace depending on the value of xxx.
Adding everything to a map would thus make that map very big. I don't think that's feasible.

>, then I'd assume my changes should be made
> around here in ExpandingProperties#checkedExpand :
> Object propVal = (props instanceof ExpandingProperties<?>) ?
> ((ExpandingProperties<?>) props).getExpandedProperty(propKey,
> recursionGuard + 1) : props.get(propKey);
>

I think that the solution should focus on:

T getExpandedProperty(String key, int recursionGuard) {
return convertValue(map.get(key), recursionGuard);
}

If map.get(key) returns null then try the eclipse variable.

- thomas
Re: Property Expansion for Environment Variables [message #637590 is a reply to message #637576] Sun, 07 November 2010 11:41 Go to previous message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Thomas,

you are right of course, we cannot add all dynamic eclipse variables to
the map.
I implemented it according to your suggestion and added a new test case
for env_vars in PropertyFormatTest.
I created a bugzilla for this enhancement and committed my changes to TRUNK:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=329628

Best regards and thank you for the help,
Johannes
Previous Topic:Re: [buckminster-dev] Buckminster questions
Next Topic:[buckminster-dev] Hoe to provide the rmap file in file to the headless build command?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jun 20 02:04:31 GMT 2018

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02711 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top