Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » how to disable a certain plug-in(docshare)
how to disable a certain plug-in(docshare) [message #635179] Mon, 25 October 2010 21:07 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 9
Registered: October 2010
Junior Member
Hi

I am trying to build a collaborative editor plug-in which will be built based on Docshare plug-in.

I want to add extra features on the top of Docshare but because Docshare comes with ECF(Eclipse Communication Framework) at default, I do not know how to enable my own plug-in instead of Docshare.

Is it possible to disable Docshare while keeping ECF?

or is it possible to add ecf plug-ins as dependencies without installing ECF? I can't seem to figure out how to add external plug-ins as it only allows plug-ins from /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins

Thanks in advance..

p.s. I am using galileo version of eclipse
Re: how to disable a certain plug-in(docshare) [message #635270 is a reply to message #635179] Tue, 26 October 2010 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Kuppe is currently offline Markus KuppeFriend
Messages: 177
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 10/25/2010 11:07 PM, kunisagi@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi

Hi,

> I am trying to build a collaborative editor plug-in which will be built
> based on Docshare plug-in.

interesting, what kind of functionality will your editor have compared
to docshare/cola?

> I want to add extra features on the top of Docshare but because Docshare
> comes with ECF(Eclipse Communication Framework) at default, I do not
> know how to enable my own plug-in instead of Docshare.

If your goal is to extend docshare, why do you want to disable docshare?

> Is it possible to disable Docshare while keeping ECF?

Not sure I understand. When you say disable, do you mean remove from the
UI or remove docshare from the OSGi bundles deployed?

> or is it possible to add ecf plug-ins as dependencies without installing
> ECF? I can't seem to figure out how to add external plug-ins as it only
> allows plug-ins from /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins

Looks like you are using an eclipse installation that comes with your
distribution that refuses to install additional bundles with the Eclipse
update manager. To work around this you will have to change the target
you are building against. To do this go to Window > preferences >
plug-in development > target platform. You also might want to read up on
target platforms in general.

> p.s. I am using galileo version of eclipse

You might want to upgrade your target platform to Helios or even ECF 3.4
(released next Friday).

Markus
Re: how to disable a certain plug-in(docshare) [message #635321 is a reply to message #635270] Tue, 26 October 2010 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 9
Registered: October 2010
Junior Member
Thanks for the reply,

interesting, what kind of functionality will your editor have compared
to docshare/cola?


- I am thinking of adding highlighting features for different users and i found that no more than 2 people can share the same text editor, so was looking into allowing more than 2 people


If your goal is to extend docshare, why do you want to disable docshare?


- because I want to add a plug-in which is built based on docshare, and by introducing the plug-in into my eclipse, it will conflict with docshare I think? But today I discovered the eclipse fragment feature which can patch a plug-in..

Not sure I understand. When you say disable, do you mean remove from the
UI or remove docshare from the OSGi bundles deployed?


You know how docshare comes at default when you install ECF Framework right?. I want every ECF plug-ins but Docshare so I can install my own Docshare-like plug-in..not sure how to do that though




Can you give me some solutions? I'm really stuck at the moment.. I tried to make the eclipse fragment so that i can patch Docshare by following the instruction from http://wiki.eclipse.org/Steps_to_use_Fragments_to_patch_a_pl ug-in
but when I modify the host package(org.eclipse.ecf.docshare) manifest settings, it goes back to the default setting when I restart the eclipse. I think its because of the authrisation issue? I'm using eclipse on ubuntu and its not possible to create/delete stuff from eclipse folder.

Thanks
Re: how to disable a certain plug-in(docshare) [message #635393 is a reply to message #635321] Tue, 26 October 2010 15:14 Go to previous message
Markus Kuppe is currently offline Markus KuppeFriend
Messages: 177
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On 10/26/2010 02:22 PM, kunisagi@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> interesting, what kind of functionality will your editor have compared
> to docshare/cola?
>
> - I am thinking of adding highlighting features for different users and
> i found that no more than 2 people can share the same text editor, so
> was looking into allowing more than 2 people
>
>
> If your goal is to extend docshare, why do you want to disable docshare?
>
> - because I want to add a plug-in which is built based on docshare, and
> by introducing the plug-in into my eclipse, it will conflict with
> docshare I think? But today I discovered the eclipse fragment feature
> which can patch a plug-in..
>
> Not sure I understand. When you say disable, do you mean remove from the
> UI or remove docshare from the OSGi bundles deployed?
>
> You know how docshare comes at default when you install ECF Framework
> right?. I want every ECF plug-ins but Docshare so I can install my own
> Docshare-like plug-in..not sure how to do that though
>
>
>
>
> Can you give me some solutions? I'm really stuck at the moment.. I tried
> to make the eclipse fragment so that i can patch Docshare by following
> the instruction from
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Steps_to_use_Fragments_to_patch_a_pl ug-in
> but when I modify the host package(org.eclipse.ecf.docshare) manifest
> settings, it goes back to the default setting when I restart the
> eclipse. I think its because of the authrisation issue? I'm using
> eclipse on ubuntu and its not possible to create/delete stuff from
> eclipse folder.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

why not just provide a patch for the docshare implementation itself?
That way you get around all the hassle with fragments, target platforms
and whatnot and the community benefits from your work too. :)

To get started just file an enhancement request in bugzilla [0] and
provide a patch. Alternatively you might want to clone the ECF git repo [1].

Markus

[0] https://bugs.eclipse.org
[1] http://git.eclipse.org/c/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.git/
Previous Topic:ECF Extras site not available
Next Topic:Announcement: ECF 3.4 now available
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 25 05:01:52 GMT 2018

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10674 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top