Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Provisioning project dependencies in Virgo
Provisioning project dependencies in Virgo [message #633283] Sat, 16 October 2010 00:40 Go to next message
Brian Topping is currently offline Brian ToppingFriend
Greetings,

I'm new to Virgo and am working to get a better understanding of the provisioning process. I've read the documentation thoroughly and have looked through the forums, but still not understanding some details.

Specifically, it seems that I should be able to provision Virgo using a Maven repository (making transitive dependencies much easier and more reliable). I see Pax Runner, but it seems oriented toward a bare metal provisioning of it's supported containers, not toward Virgo Server. I also looked extensively at the remote provisioning repositories, but these are other Virgo severs, not just simply a remote Maven repository. The only other option for provisioning the first container seems to be to manually copy dependencies in.

What am I missing here? [1] states that "when a bundle is deployed dm Server will automatically satisfy the bundle's dependencies by installing additional bundles from the repository", but I am assuming this is referring to *another* Virgo server, not the first Virgo server. Is there no way around manually provisioning the first repository? No way to connect to the Spring EBR and use that?

FWIW, I read somewhere about issues with optional dependencies and Maven repositories. For this reason, I was going to front-end the Maven repositories with Nexus, so I could filter out the unwanted dependencies. It might be a good practice that allows Maven repositories to be used reliably as provisioning repositories.

Thanks for any advice!

Brian

[1] http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?t=80326
Aha! (Re: Provisioning project dependencies in Virgo) [message #633290 is a reply to message #633283] Sat, 16 October 2010 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Topping is currently offline Brian ToppingFriend
Ok, figured out most of my questions, still have one left.

For those reading along, the major solution to this is that STS (the Eclipse tooling for DM/Virgo) provides for repository population. I am using IntelliJ IDEA though, and support for this is still at a very early stage. So dependency provisioning is something I know how to solve at the developer level now.

What I'm still wondering about is how to solve this reproducibly at the deployment stage. For instance, let's say I use the Maven release plugin: Without connecting STS to my production server, how would I make sure that the production server has all the correct libraries?

[Updated on: Sat, 16 October 2010 02:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Aha! (Re: Provisioning project dependencies in Virgo) [message #633316 is a reply to message #633290] Sat, 16 October 2010 10:43 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The way to make a production Virgo server provision its dependencies in a predictable way is not to change the contents of the configured repositories. If the content changes, then there is always the possibility that a "better" solution will be found to the provisioning/wiring problem than was found last time Virgo started.

Does that answer your question?
Previous Topic:Virgo Tools for Eclipse exists?
Next Topic:How to create a web-bundle?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:52:37 GMT 2024