Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How to Get the Little Check Mark next to a Breakpoint(I need to know how to get the little check mark next to a breakpoint.)
How to Get the Little Check Mark next to a Breakpoint [message #632651] Wed, 13 October 2010 17:27 Go to next message
Kevin Simonson is currently offline Kevin SimonsonFriend
I am involved with modifying a large open source project using Eclipse. I set a breakpoint at one point in my code, and the little blue circle appears in the column on the left side of the code. Should that be enough to stop execution when it gets to that point, or do I need the little check mark that goes with the little circle? If I do, what do I have to do to _get_ the little check mark there? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin S

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 17:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to Get the Little Check Mark next toa Breakpoint [message #632659 is a reply to message #632651] Wed, 13 October 2010 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: richkulp.us.NOSPAM.ibm.com

Hi,

The little check mark doesn't appear until the class is loaded at
runtime in an actual live debugging VM. Until you start a java VM in
debugging mode (connected with Eclipse) AND that class is on that VM's
classpath AND that class is loaded in that VM (i.e. actually
referenced), you will have just a circle.

--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: How to Get the Little Check Mark next toa Breakpoint [message #632694 is a reply to message #632659] Wed, 13 October 2010 22:15 Go to previous message
Kevin Simonson is currently offline Kevin SimonsonFriend
Okay, I'm trying to figure out how LimeWire works. It's open source, so I just checked out its source code to my local Eclipse and built it. I run it, and it appears to run just fine; I can use it to download files and they get downloaded successfully.

When I run LimeWire, either directly or in the debugger, the GUI comes up with a text field on the top with the grayed out word "Search...", and immediately to its right is a green button with a sort of a Q-shaped icon on it, and when I move the cursor over it I get the tip "Search P2P Network".

Now when I do a recursive search on all the "*.java" files in my workspace, there's only one file that has "Search P2P Network" in it, and that's "SearchBar.java". I set breakpoints to the left of the three places where "P2P" is mentioned in that file, <searchButton.setToolTipText(I18n.tr("Search P2P Network"));>, <searchButton.setToolTipText(I18n.tr("Search P2P Network and Friends"));>, and another <searchButton.setToolTipText(I18n.tr("Search P2P Network"));>.

Then I run LimeWire in debug mode. It brings up the GUI with the mentioned text field and the mentioned green button, but it _never stops at any_ of those three breakpoints. Can anyone explain how this can be happening? Doesn't the code _have_ to stop at one of those <setToolTipText()>s in order for that green button to have that tool tip? I'm at a loss here. I need to figure out why it's doing this, and I haven't got a clue. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin S

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 22:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:how to programatically resolve .classpath entries
Next Topic:Implement Hyperlinking/Open Declaration in custom editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:13:02 GMT 2024