Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Creating a remote PHP project/debugging with XDebug(Solution needed to manage and debug a PHP project on a remote server without having to mirror it locally.)
icon9.gif  Creating a remote PHP project/debugging with XDebug [message #630830] Tue, 05 October 2010 08:34 Go to next message
Sven is currently offline SvenFriend
Hi all

I've got a fairly large PHP project on a server that I would like to manage and to debug with Eclipse/XDebug.
My current solution for this is to mirror the site on a server in my local network. Eclipse works very well with that setup. Every time a file is changed on the local mirror it gets synchronized to the public server on the net via iwatch and unison. As it is however, it seems a bit hackish (with a bunch of helper scripts shipping around synchronization glitches) and it is indeed somewhat unreliable (iwatch still seems to ignore changed files in some cases despite careful testing of the required file events - it kicks in on the events "close_write", "moved_from", and "delete" which should be sufficient). Still, there should be an easier and cleaner way to achieve the same thing.

So I tried the Aptana plugin for Eclipse. I can create a new project and establish a connection to the remote server. I can work with that as I would with an ordinary local project. I can't, however, create a debug profile for XDebug. I go to "Debug Configurations" -> right click "PHP Web Page" -> choose "New". I enter a name for the configuration, choose "XDebug" as "Server Debugger", choose my "PHP Server" (it's the same server configuration as in the working setup described above, so that shouldn't be the problem). The problem is choosing a file as the entry point for the debugger as I can't choose my remote connection in the "Select File" dialog. The parent folder for the remote project shows up in the dialog but beneath that it's empty. When I double-click the parent folder, its name shows up in the "File" text field but after closing the debug configuration dialog, the debug button has no effect.

Another handy solution could be the Remote System Explorer plugin. If you right-click on a folder in the Remote Systems view you get an option called "Create remote project". However, on clicking the option I get an error message reading "Internal Error: org.eclipse.rse.ui.RSEUIPlugin.getTheSystemRegistry()Lorg/ec lipse/rse/model/SystemRegistry; " This is in Gnome on Ubuntu 10.04. I tried the same on a Windows Vista machine. Initially, the plugin and the "Create remote project" option seem to work and I get a progress bar indicating that files are being imported (or whatever it is the plugin does in that step) but it hangs after a while. Last time I'd been waiting for about two hours before cancelling it.

Does anybody either have a bugfix/workaround for the problems with these two plugins or another solution to get Eclipse to work with a project on a remote server while still being able to use XDebug?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance! Smile

P.S.: I cross-posted this from the Aptana support forums as this is rather urgent and it does not solely concern Aptana. Hope this is okay.
Re: Creating a remote PHP project/debugging with XDebug [message #631542 is a reply to message #630830] Thu, 07 October 2010 21:52 Go to previous message
Christian Wolf is currently offline Christian WolfFriend
Hi,

have you thougt of an ssh tunnel to allow you to connect to the remote server? This implies that you have the possibility to activate xdebug on the server and have ssh access.

Christian
Previous Topic:No update of Debug Console while debugging
Next Topic:Newly installed php pdt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:42:45 GMT 2024