Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext 1.0 compatible with Xtext 1.0.1?
Xtext 1.0 compatible with Xtext 1.0.1? [message #629377] Tue, 28 September 2010 04:22 Go to next message
Samantha Chan is currently offline Samantha ChanFriend
Hello,

Firstly, thank you for all your help with my previous posts. It was very helpful.

Now, I am wondering what your compatibility statement for XText 1.0 and Xtext 1.0.1. I have just installed XText 1.0.1. I tried running an editor that was generated on XText 1.0 with XText 1.0.1 and have noticed regressions. I have not tested it extensively, but noticed problems with content assist. I have not digged deep to figure out what's wrong, but I am wondering what the general compatibility statement is. Do you expect the generated editors will be forward compatible? i.e. do I have to regen every time a new version of XText comes out?

In addition, I am also wondering if you have any plans on supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 when it becomes available. And when do you think you can support it? Do you foresee any problems with supporting RHEL 6?

Thanks once again for all the help.
Samantha

Re: Xtext 1.0 compatible with Xtext 1.0.1? [message #629533 is a reply to message #629377] Tue, 28 September 2010 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Koehnlein is currently offline Jan KoehnleinFriend
Samantha,

Xtext 1.0.1 should be binary compatible with 1.0.0. If you experience
serious regressions, please file a bug. Nevertheless, we have made some
bugfixes that could slightly change the behavior of existing editors for
the better.

In general, we don't consider it a break of compatibility if users have
to regenerate the code. As we clearly separate hand-written from
generated code, user's should not have any disadvantages from this.

To your second question: Xtext's platform is Eclipse and therby Java. If
RedHat can run Eclipse and Java, Xtext will run on RedHat. I am not
aware of any special problem here, but I am not too deep into Linux
stuff. Did I miss the point of your question?

Regards
Jan

Am 28.09.10 06:22, schrieb Samantha Chan:
> Hello,
>
> Firstly, thank you for all your help with my previous posts. It was very
> helpful.
>
> Now, I am wondering what your compatibility statement for XText 1.0 and
> Xtext 1.0.1. I have just installed XText 1.0.1. I tried running an
> editor that was generated on XText 1.0 with XText 1.0.1 and have noticed
> regressions. I have not tested it extensively, but noticed problems with
> content assist. I have not digged deep to figure out what's wrong, but I
> am wondering what the general compatibility statement is. Do you expect
> the generated editors will be forward compatible? i.e. do I have to
> regen every time a new version of XText comes out?
>
> In addition, I am also wondering if you have any plans on supporting Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux 6 when it becomes available. And when do you think
> you can support it? Do you foresee any problems with supporting RHEL 6?
>
> Thanks once again for all the help.
> Samantha
>
>

--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com

---
Get professional support from the Xtext committers at www.typefox.io
Re: Xtext 1.0 compatible with Xtext 1.0.1? [message #629771 is a reply to message #629533] Wed, 29 September 2010 14:16 Go to previous message
Samantha Chan is currently offline Samantha ChanFriend
Hi,

My environment was like this, I have an editor that was generated using the XText 1.0 SDK. My target platform is XText 1.0.1.

When I invoked content assist on the editor, I got the following exception:
java.lang.VerifyError: org/eclipse/xtext/util/PolymorphicDispatcher$WarningErrorHan dler.get(Lorg/apache/log4j/Logger;)Lorg/eclipse/xtext/util/P olymorphicDispatcher$ErrorHandler;
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractJavaBasedC ontentProposalProvider.invokeMethod(AbstractJavaBasedContent ProposalProvider.java:214)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractJavaBasedC ontentProposalProvider.completeAssignment(AbstractJavaBasedC ontentProposalProvider.java:148)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractContentPro posalProvider$DefaultContentAssistProcessorSwitch.caseAssign ment(AbstractContentProposalProvider.java:67)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractContentPro posalProvider$DefaultContentAssistProcessorSwitch.caseAssign ment(AbstractContentProposalProvider.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.XtextSwitch.doSwitch(XtextSwitch.java :164)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.XtextSwitch.doSwitch(XtextSwitch.java :70)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.XtextSwitch.doSwitch(XtextSwitch.java :58)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractContentPro posalProvider$DefaultContentAssistProcessorSwitch.accept(Abs tractContentProposalProvider.java:72)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractContentPro posalProvider.createProposals(AbstractContentProposalProvide r.java:109)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.AbstractJavaBasedC ontentProposalProvider.createProposals(AbstractJavaBasedCont entProposalProvider.java:205)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.CompletionProposal Computer.exec(CompletionProposalComputer.java:51)
at org.eclipse.xtext.ui.editor.contentassist.CompletionProposal Computer.exec(CompletionProposalComputer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.xtext.util.concurrent.IStateAccess$AbstractImpl. readOnly(IStateAccess.java:40)

I did customize the content proprosal provider. I have bounded my own implementation of content proposal provider. I am not sure if that is causing the problem. Regenerating the editor solved this problem.

Secondly, I have noticed problems with model consistencies, and got a lot more exceptions during validation jobs. For example, when I commented out a function in my editor, the validation job gets run, and eventually it tries to resolve all references. The reference to that function is resolved to the wrong thing, because the model has changed since the function is already commented out. The resulting reference caused a class cast exception in the validation job.

I also found the similar problems in the Outline View. When trying to populate the Outline View, I got EMF errors saying that a feature does not exist/valid.

I did not remember seeing these problems when using XText 1.0. So, I am wondering if anything changed in how the model is managed and refreshed in XText 1.0.1.

For RHEL 6 support, I am looking for runtime support. I will generate the editor in a non RHEL 6 environment, but would need the editor to run on RHEL 6.

Thanks again for your help.

Samantha
Previous Topic:full path for 'runtimeProject' property in the workflow file
Next Topic:Implement ToBeBuiltComputer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:05:46 GMT 2024