Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter
Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #626191] Wed, 22 September 2010 12:42 Go to next message
Matthias is currently offline MatthiasFriend
Hi,
as some of you already know I have an infocenter running on tomcat. I have also had my help content as plugin and I noticed a small but important difference.

If I press F1 for context help and I am using a hosted infocenter it doesn't bring me directly to the specified help page. I first have to klick on the link in my help system even if I do not give a description.

Can I change this somehow? I think it's rather annoying because I don't want to give a description and klick everytime on the link. If I don't give a description I see "null" as description tag.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #629363 is a reply to message #626191] Mon, 27 September 2010 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
There is a way to do this. If you have a context with no description and a single topic pressing F1 will cause the topic to be opened directly.
Re: Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #629528 is a reply to message #626191] Tue, 28 September 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately this does not work.

Here is my context xml from my infocenter hosted on tomcat 5.5:

<?NLS TYPE="org.eclipse.help.contexts"?>
<contexts>
<context id="CustomizingTreeView">
<topic href="html/1.7_Customizing.html" label="Link zum Topic" />
</context>
</contexts>

With this context I see a link "Link zum Topic" which redirects me to the right topic but only if I click at it. If I leave out the label attribute It just shows me an empty page.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2010 15:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #630182 is a reply to message #629528] Thu, 30 September 2010 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I'm not understanding the question correctly. In workbench mode pressing F1 when the context has a single topic and no description takes you directly to the page. You said that you were running an infocenter - does this mean that you are running the Eclipse workbench but have set the preferences to load read help from an infocenter?
Re: Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #630232 is a reply to message #626191] Fri, 01 October 2010 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I am running the infocenter on tomcat. My RCP application has the preferences to load the help from my hosted infocenter.

When pressing F1 it does not directly redirect me to the correct help page. I first have to click on the link. I want my rcp application to directly jump to the topic on infocenter..

I hope you can help me like the last times Wink
Thanks in advance!
Re: Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #630404 is a reply to message #630232] Fri, 01 October 2010 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can see why this is failing and why the failure only happens when contexts are read remotely. The context servlet is returning this XML when there is no description. Can you file a bug report?

<context title="Sample View">
<description>null</description>
<topic label="Context-sensitive help" href="/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_context.htm ">
</topic>
</context>
Re: Jump directly to help page in server hosted Infocenter [message #630568 is a reply to message #626191] Mon, 04 October 2010 08:35 Go to previous message
I have filed a bug report. You can find it here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=326897

Thanks for your help!
Previous Topic:activate output of org.eclipse.help/debug/context without IDE
Next Topic:Plugin dependencies for adding help in RCP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:59:08 GMT 2024