Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Should I count on Virgo?
Should I count on Virgo? [message #581437] Tue, 08 June 2010 19:17 Go to next message
Artem B is currently offline Artem BFriend
Hello everyone.

I am very excited about the Virgo project and I follow the news about it since January. This week my company starts a new project. Virgo seems to be a perfect fit for it, and I don't actually want to use anything else, but I am concerned about it's production readiness.

Can I (should I) consider using Virgo for this project?
Considering the milestone you guys are aiming to hit at the end of June, should I start to use bleeding edge builds of Virgo from the repository and switch to a more-or-less stable milestone afterwards?
Should I start development with SpringSource dm Server and switch to Virgo as soon as it is ready? I am also concerned about licensing in this case - is this option correct in terms of it?

Thanks for any help with this,
Artem B
Re: Should I count on Virgo? [message #581445 is a reply to message #581437] Wed, 09 June 2010 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
We have made very few functional changes in converting dm Server 2.0.x into Virgo. We have also deliberately minimised the number of bug fixes we apply to Virgo at this early stage. The whole idea is to produce a Virgo 2.1.0.M1 milestone which is as close as possible in function to dm Server 2.0.x. We are logging the externals changes in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=316158

I would say the first Virgo milestone should be stable and pretty close to production quality and subsequent milestones in the 2.1.0 line will make minimal changes to reach Eclipse IP approval and release requirements.

In addition to those set of impacts, you may like to consider the Eclipse tooling support in deciding whether to start with dm Server or Virgo. The dm Server support is available in SpringSource Tool Suite right now whereas the Virgo support is being developed and will not be available much before the end of June. The tooling provides support for developing bundles, PARs, and plans and deploying them to a dm Server/Virgo server instance giving a nice development environment.

So I think your decision comes down to how much you want to achieve in the next three weeks.

As for licensing, dm Server is licensed under GPLv3 whereas Virgo is licensed under the much more liberal EPL. If you are developing a web application for your company, the license won't make much practical difference. At the other end of the spectrum if you plan to distribute the software you produce and package dm Server/Virgo in the distribution, then EPL has very few constraints whereas GPL will require you to license your code under the GPL.

Hope that helps and glad you want to use Virgo.
Re: Should I count on Virgo? [message #581454 is a reply to message #581445] Thu, 10 June 2010 07:52 Go to previous message
Artem B is currently offline Artem BFriend
Thank you very much, Glyn.

I favor the option of starting the development with the snapshot version of DM server and upgrade to the milestone as soon as it is available.

Could you please also tell me what is the planned timeframe for 2.1.0 release? And if there is a wiki page or something where I can follow along with the progress? I want to evaluate whether we will be able to release our project with the stable version of Virgo. This factor is critical

Thanks again,
Artem B.
Previous Topic:Should I count on Virgo?
Next Topic:Virgo (Spring DM Server) Clustering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:17:04 GMT 2024