Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » [EGit] clone and push back process problems
[EGit] clone and push back process problems [message #580799] Mon, 31 May 2010 20:24
Kay Huber is currently offline Kay HuberFriend
Hi all!

I'm using latest nightlies of both EGit (0.8.0.201005300830) and JGit (0.8.0.201005300828).

I have a "usability" (or "understanding") problem about cloning repositories and pushing back changes.

Scenario:
* In workspace A, I create a new project and use the "Share Project..." to "elevate" it to a local git managed one.
* In workspace B (on another computer), I clone the repo from Workspace A
* Working on files of workspace B, committing them to git repo on B
* Finally pushing HEAD back to workspace A

So far so good, no problems reported, everything green.

However, now, opening up workspace A is "strange":
1) All files that were "pushed" to repo connected with workspace A get a decorator "modified". However, the modification is the wrong way round: If I do a "Compare To git index", it looks as if I "undid" the changes in workspace A. Also, if I do a "commit" now on workspace A, the pushed changes from workspace B are "reverted"!
* The only way to get everything "right" again in workspace A is by doing a "Reset..." with reset type "hard" - causing of course all changes that I did on workspace A in the meantime to be overridden!

In short: To me, it seems that the scenario "pushing into a local repo" is not really supported. Do you confirm or am I just misunderstanding something?

Thanks for any hints.
Regards
Kay
Previous Topic:Importing Project Fails: Loader Constraint Error
Next Topic:[EGit] clone and push back process problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:05:30 GMT 2024