Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 Tools » Wich is the best choise..extend uml2t or papyrus?..to make diagrasm for new uml profile
Wich is the best choise..extend uml2t or papyrus?..to make diagrasm for new uml profile [message #557114] Sat, 04 September 2010 14:52 Go to next message
Andres  is currently offline Andres Friend
Hello, I am new in the forum...,For my university project, I want to make a diagram editor, with a custom toolbar, for a new uml profile(SoaMl).

I started studing uml2 tools, to extending this, but i have got a lot of problems, to regenerate gmf diagrams, etc,etc.
LAST WEEK reading on the web, i found mdt papyrus project, i thought that i had more documents and tutorials than uml2t.

According your experience, wich is the best option for me target, trying again with uml2t, or probe with papyrus?

Any suggest or starting guides to extend the plugin,regenerate diagrams, etc...?

Thanks,
Andrés
Re: Wich is the best choise..extend uml2t or papyrus?..to make diagrasm for new uml profile [message #557128 is a reply to message #557114] Sat, 04 September 2010 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
For your information in our company which provides a paid UML solution for Eclipse Helios only MDT Papyrus is considered as a serious competitor.
The other UML projects have been erased from our competitor list.
Hope this help.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 September 2010 18:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Wich is the best choise..extend uml2t or papyrus?..to make diagrasm for new uml profile [message #557606 is a reply to message #557114] Wed, 08 September 2010 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Waniek is currently offline Christian WaniekFriend
In my opinion papyrus isn't yet a real alternative for the uml2 tools, although papyrus has a high potential. But actually e.g. there aren't any state-machine diagrams and you can't initialize a diagram from an existing *-uml file.
Especially the second point is very important when you have a long living project and you want to switch from u2t to papyrus.

So our company still relies on the uml2 tools an contributes patches.

But to answer your original question:
I think there isn't a real diference in complexity between u2t and papyrus. For me it helped a lot to first become familiar with GMF before fixing and extending uml2 tools.

I found your mail adresses in another post: Compile UML2TOOLS

I will invite you to google talk so maybe we can solve your problems talking/chatting directly.

Best Regards
Christian Waniek
Re: Wich is the best choise..extend uml2t or papyrus?..to make diagrasm for new uml profile [message #557649 is a reply to message #557114] Wed, 08 September 2010 12:33 Go to previous message
Ramin Etemaadi is currently offline Ramin EtemaadiFriend
Dear Christian,

I have faced the same problem. Would please help me in this issue?

How can I build a UML2 Tool editor with customize toolbar?
In my case I need a Deployment diagram with some extented devices such as Processor, Memory, Cache, etc?

Best Regards,
Ramin
Previous Topic:Sequence diagrams: How to add message data? And using editor in general...
Next Topic:Wich is the best choise..extend uml2t or papyrus?..to make diagrasm for new uml profile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:56:56 GMT 2024