Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » WAR Deployment problem(WAR deployment using product based approach in Helios)
WAR Deployment problem [message #551819] Mon, 09 August 2010 16:20 Go to next message
Patrick is currently offline PatrickFriend
Hi All,

I'm quite new to RAP development and before jumping into the platform details I would
like to resolve some deployment issues just to be sure that everything can be deployed in the app server we are using (WebSphere 7.0). I followed the product based approach, as refactored in the Helios release:

1) copied the sample product definition /org.eclipse.equinox.server.examples.servletbridge.product/p roducts/server.core.product into a new product definition \maildemo.rap.product\maildemo.product located in the maildemo.rap.product feature project

2) added to the feature all the RAP related bundles as well as my maildemo bundle and RAP specific fragment (I'm also experimenting single sourcing...)

3) updated the \org.eclipse.equinox.server.servletbridge\rootfiles\web.xml deployment descriptor to enable framework commands and OSGi console telnet

Using the product export wizard with root directory set to WEB-INF and archive file set to maildemo.war I'm able to successfully export all bundles and also to deploy the war on the app server; anyway, from the OSGi console I see that most of the required bundles are not active (they are show a RESOLVED or LAZY status) so the RAP maildemo application doesn't work. I've to manually start all the bundles in order to have it running.

looking at the config.ini file generated by the PDE product export wizard, I saw that it is based on p2 simpleconfigurator so I checked the bundles.info file and I found the list of all the required bundles but with a startup flag set to false. I manually changed it to true and repackaged the WAR; now, after deploying it to WebSphere all the bundles starts and the maildemo RAP applicazion works smoothly.

How could I convince the PDE export wizard to automatically set the flag to true ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Best Regards,
Patrizio
Re: WAR Deployment problem [message #551826 is a reply to message #551819] Mon, 09 August 2010 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cole Markham is currently offline Cole MarkhamFriend

You should be able to specify the start levels of each plugin on the Configuration tab of the product editor. If your bundles are properly configured for lazy loading then you shouldn't need to add all of them, just the ones that need to be started manually.

Also be aware of this bug (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=321653) that I filed against PDE export. Until/Unless that is fixed, you will need to manually add start levels for the framework bundles mentioned.

There is also a work-in-progress war product export currently being developed, but it suffers from the same requirements in my experience. I have some patches to file against that as well that allow the start levels to be set.

Hope that helps,

Cole
Re: WAR Deployment problem [message #551849 is a reply to message #551826] Mon, 09 August 2010 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rüdiger Herrmann is currently offline Rüdiger HerrmannFriend
Couldn't you remove the simpleconfigurator? That would PDE cause to
consider the information from the configuration page.
Then you could either provide a handwritten config.ini or adjust the
start setting product editor.

HTH
Rüdiger

On 09.08.2010 18:44, Cole Markham wrote:
> You should be able to specify the start levels of each plugin on the
> Configuration tab of the product editor. If your bundles are properly
> configured for lazy loading then you shouldn't need to add all of them,
> just the ones that need to be started manually.
>
> Also be aware of this bug
> (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=321653) that I filed
> against PDE export. Until/Unless that is fixed, you will need to
> manually add start levels for the framework bundles mentioned.
>
> There is also a work-in-progress war product export currently being
> developed, but it suffers from the same requirements in my experience. I
> have some patches to file against that as well that allow the start
> levels to be set.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Cole
Re: WAR Deployment problem [message #551857 is a reply to message #551849] Mon, 09 August 2010 19:26 Go to previous message
Patrick is currently offline PatrickFriend
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, I followed Cole's hint to leverage lazy loading and I was able to control the way application bundles starts simply adding the following autostarting bundles to the Configuration page of the product

*.maildemo 2
*.equinox.common 2
*.equinox.ds 2
*.equinox.http.registry 2
*.equinox.http.servletbridge 2
*.equinox.simpleconfigurator 1

Now all the required bundles starts at application startup and a fancy maildemo RAP application is served at URL URL http://loalhost:9080/maildemo/fancy?startup=mail

I'll look forward to the see the next step of RAP on server side and test the WAR product editor currently under active developement for GSoC

Thanks again!
Previous Topic:Pop Up Window or Download Link
Next Topic:war deployment with products: how to access RAP servlet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:36:16 GMT 2024