Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods(I can't get variable autocompletion or method autocompletion to work. Please, please help if you can)
Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods [message #537188] Tue, 01 June 2010 15:03 Go to next message
Neil  is currently offline Neil Friend
Hi everyone

I'm really sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I have been googling and searching on here for ages...

I am trying to use PDT 2 Helios (Build id: 20100506-2000) on Mac OSX 10.6 - this is intended as a replacement for my old PHP IDE - Zend Studio 5.5. I've got the standard PDT install and have added on RSE (Remote system Explorer).

I don't seem to be able to get Eclipse to do PHP variable name completion - e.g. I have a variable elsewhere on the script or an included script called for example $test_variable and I wanted to have Eclipse suggest "$test_variable" when I start typing e.g. "$tes". All Eclipse seems to do is complete built-in variables e.g. $_SERVER["REMOTE_HOST"].

Equally, I cannot get Eclipse to autocomplete my method names etc. Zend did a cracking job of this, even offering hints for the method parameters without needing to add comments to the method.

Am I missing something obvious? I read on a web page that I need to start a new project then change a setting on the project but I can't find any relevant settings.

Any help would be massively appreciated and apologies again if these questions have been answered elsewhere, if so, please point me in the right direction and i'll get to it.

Cheers
Neil

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2010 15:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods [message #537419 is a reply to message #537188] Wed, 02 June 2010 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all

A slight update...Now variable name autocompletion is kind of working. I didn't change any settings but today I am getting some autocompletion but I am seeing the same variables repeated many times in the popup...but, it does work so it's a small improvement,

Any help or pointers to info would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Neil
Re: Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods [message #539055 is a reply to message #537188] Wed, 09 June 2010 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have any ideas on this please? Anything at all? Otherwise i'm going to abandon Eclipse and go back to Zend studio...
Re: Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods [message #540282 is a reply to message #537188] Tue, 15 June 2010 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob B is currently offline Rob BFriend
> Am I missing something obvious? I read on a web page that I
> need to start a new project then change a setting on the project
> but I can't find any relevant settings.

Greetings,

If your Project is not a PHP Project, try

File > New > PHP Project

HTH

-Rob B
Re: Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods [message #540291 is a reply to message #540282] Tue, 15 June 2010 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it it already a PHP project...

Cheers
Re: Autocomplete for PHP variables and methods [message #548291 is a reply to message #537188] Wed, 21 July 2010 11:40 Go to previous message
beono  is currently offline beono Friend
Hi. Maybe it will help

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=486 493&th=154431#msg_486493
Previous Topic:debug / edit existing web applications on the local server
Next Topic:Debugger stops (breakpoints) at apparently completely random lines.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:54:17 GMT 2024