Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » -console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1
-console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1 [message #533862] Mon, 17 May 2010 10:21 Go to next message
Ralf Ebert is currently offline Ralf EbertFriend
Hi,

for Equinox 3.5.2 telnet access for the OSGi console works when '-console <port>' is
specified as program argument. The same launch configuration fails in 3.6.RC1, it just
terminates without any error/exception only when '-console <port>' is specified. Was
something changed in 3.6 related to that or is this a bug?

Greetings,

Ralf

- Ralf | http://www.ralfebert.de/
Re: -console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1 [message #533945 is a reply to message #533862] Mon, 17 May 2010 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
That option still works for me. I am on the Mac. What OS are you on? Does simply using -console with no port bring up the console correctly using system in/out?

Tom.
Re: -console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1 [message #534031 is a reply to message #533945] Mon, 17 May 2010 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> That option still works for me. I am on the Mac. What OS are you on?
> Does simply using -console with no port bring up the console correctly
> using system in/out?

Mac OS X 10.6, JDK 1.6 x86_64, -console without port works, I can reproduce it using these
steps:

- Eclipse Project SDK 3.6 RC1 (I20100513-1500), new workspace
- Create a new Plug-in project for OSGi Framework Equinox, with Activator, don't use a
template
- Create a new OSGi Framework run configuration from scratch, deselect all bundles, only
launch with the created bundle + dependency org.eclipse.osgi. Default arguments are:

Program: -os ${target.os} -ws ${target.ws} -arch ${target.arch} -nl ${target.nl}
-consoleLog -console
VM: -Declipse.ignoreApp=true -Dosgi.noShutdown=true

- Launching works, sysout console comes and stays up
- Add a port number to the -console option, it prints:

Listening on port 1234 ...

and immediately exits.

- Open the same workspace in 3.5.2, launch the exact same run config, here it runs and
stays up.

I also saw this happening on some (but not all) Windows XP machines (I'm using 3.6RC1 for
a training course and some of the course participants encountered this running Windows and
I could reproduce it on OS X).

Greetings,

Ralf

--
Re: -console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1 [message #534048 is a reply to message #534031] Mon, 17 May 2010 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
This is happening because no non-daemon threads exist when using the port option. When not using a port we start a ConsoleSession right away which creates a non-daemon thread. In the port case we wait for a connection over telnet before creating the console session thread.

Setting the following configuration property forces the framework to create a non-daemon thread as long as the framework is up and running.

osgi.framework.activeThreadType=normal

Please open a bug on this. Thanks.

Tom
Re: -console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1 [message #534060 is a reply to message #534048] Mon, 17 May 2010 20:08 Go to previous message
> Setting the following configuration property forces the framework to
> create a non-daemon thread as long as the framework is up and running.
>
> osgi.framework.activeThreadType=normal

Tom, thanks for looking into it,

313234: -console <port> terminating OSGi framework in 3.6.RC1
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=313234

--
Previous Topic:Plug-in hot loading management tool
Next Topic:Update using p2 cli
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:48:27 GMT 2024