Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Removing a Model Element causes Invalid thread access
Removing a Model Element causes Invalid thread access [message #533186] Wed, 12 May 2010 14:08 Go to next message
Chris  is currently offline Chris Friend
Hi,

currently I'm developing an UML class editor for Eclipse. When the user drags a Java-File (ICompilationUnit) onto the drawing area, the contained Java type (IType) it is rendered as UML type box. Now my problem is the following:

• When the .java-file is deleted, the diagram's EditPart (implementing the IElementChangedListener interface), informs the diagram's model about this deletion via method call.
  • Then the model looks if it containes any UML boxes of types contained in that deleted file.
  • If any such a model of a UML box exists, it removes the model of the box from itself and informs the diagram's EditPart about the deletion via method call using a PropertyChangeSupport delegate.
  • The diagram's EditPart then calls refreshChildren(); which ultimately results in an "Invalid thread access" in
    org.eclipse.draw2d.DeferredUpdateManager.sendUpdateRequest(D eferredUpdateManager.java:243).

Is it not permissible to let EditPart and ModelClass interact in the way I let them via method calls? How can I avoid the "Invalid thread access"?

Any insight you can give would be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Chris
Re: Removing a Model Element causes Invalid thread access [message #533493 is a reply to message #533186] Fri, 14 May 2010 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vijay RajFriend
replace your refreshChildren method code like this
refreshChildren()
{
Display.getDefault().syncExec(new runnable()
            {
                          //Method code
            }
}

This is not required usually because the delete happens from ui only, but in your case the java file file has been deleted and that notification is non UI thread.

---------------------
why, mr. Anderson, why, why do you persist?
Because I Choose To.
Regards,
Vijay
Re: Removing a Model Element causes Invalid thread access [message #533794 is a reply to message #533493] Mon, 17 May 2010 06:33 Go to previous message
Chris  is currently offline Chris Friend
Hi,

I wanted to thank you, your tip set me on the right track for the final solution of the problem.

With a bit of modification, your tip worked just fine. I did not override the refreshChildren method in my EditPart, so I wrapped its only occurence in propertyChange. That helped a bit. I still got the exception, but the MVC got all updated correctly and the editor would no longer freeze.

The next step was a good long look at the stack trace. Looking at it, I decided, the best place to catch the exception would be in the firePropertyChange method. So I created a nested class FirePropertyChangeRunnable implementing the Runnable interface and accepting the three arguments of firePropertyChange in the constructor.

Now, any time my model would call firePropertyChange , it calls
Display.getDefault().syncExec(new FirePropertyChangeRunnable(CHILD_REMOVED_PROPERTY, null, child));

instead.

So thanks again, you made my day Smile

Regards,
Chris
Previous Topic:Documentation for UML/OCL
Next Topic:How to send notifications when a client area is modified or canvas is scrolled?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:09:24 GMT 2024