Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Large query - multiple datasets?(Is this advised?)
Large query - multiple datasets? [message #529534] Mon, 26 April 2010 09:55 Go to next message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
Hi,
I have a fairly big query that I would like to break up into more manageable/testable sections. I could create DB views but would prefer not to, if possible, as we support 3 databases so it would mean a bit more work.
i am thinking of breaking the query up into multiple datasets and joining them using a joint dataset, would this approach recommended? All of the datasets would be connected to the same datasource. Would there be any (noticeable) performance hit in this approach, or can someone recommend a better way to split a big query?

thanks
Trevor
Re: Large query - multiple datasets? [message #529651 is a reply to message #529534] Mon, 26 April 2010 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard A. Polunsky is currently offline Richard A. PolunskyFriend

I strongly urge you to reconsider. Joint datasets are not built for performance, they exist apparently to fulfill the need of joining data that comes from disparate sources. If you have a complex query, you really need to utilize the engine of your database.

If you need to test in smaller sections, then factor your query and break it out into logically separate pieces (then rebuild it as appropriate).
Re: Large query - multiple datasets? [message #529780 is a reply to message #529651] Tue, 27 April 2010 08:26 Go to previous message
Missing name Missing name is currently offline Missing name Missing nameFriend
Hmm thats what I was afraid of, it said as much in the BIRT book I have as well.

Looks like its either back to views or just use subqueries!

Thanks
Previous Topic:OSX cocoa PDF print and save not functioning from within WebViewer
Next Topic:How make multiple selection in parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:59:48 GMT 2024