Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » automatic update of workspace bundles
automatic update of workspace bundles [message #521248] Tue, 16 March 2010 22:00 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Pretty basic question.

I want to develop a simple osgi bundle, which exports a servlet. All works well, but i would like to decrease the development turnaround time. At first, i always restarted the complete osgi framework whenever something in my servlet changes.

Since OSGi is all about modularity, there must be a better way. I have noticed that its possible to install a new version of my bundle by typing update 'bundleid' in the equinox console after saving my changes.

This is already better, but still quite cumbersome. Is there a way to configure eclipse to 'auto-update' my bundle whenever i press save ? Or alternatively,create a dedicated shortcut to update my plugin, without requiring to type command in the quinox console.

Thanks.
Re: automatic update of workspace bundles [message #521276 is a reply to message #521248] Wed, 17 March 2010 02:39 Go to previous message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
I suggest you open an enhancement request against PDE->UI at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=PDE

There is nothing in place right now for PDE to communicate with (the separate) OSGi runtime to issue the update command. I can imagine they could use a ConsoleSession to establish a connection with the Equinox instance used to launch your workspace bundles. A better option would be to use p2 to remotely deploy the updated bundle to the running instance.

I think there may be some bugs already open against PDE for dynamically managing the self-hosted instance that is launched by Eclipse.

Tom.
Previous Topic:Difference between various bundle location url protocols.
Next Topic:Problems when exporting a product.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:01:10 GMT 2024