Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space"
solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521177] Tue, 16 March 2010 16:19 Go to next message
Flavio Donze is currently offline Flavio DonzeFriend
Messages: 211
Registered: July 2009
Location: Switzerland
Senior Member
Today I encountered a Java heap space problem, just want to share the solution.

I kept on getting "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" in my free style job (running buckminster build command).
So I added -Xms1024m to my hudson startup call:
java -Xms1024m hudson.war

Still the same problem. After messing around with all those vm arguments -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m I saw in my task manager that there is another java task running.
Buckminster is running in its own JVM, which totally makes sense. I was hacking around at the wrong place.

So to solve this issue, open your free style job and add -Xmx1024m to "Run Buckminster" => "Advanced Options" => "JVM Argumente"

Problem solved...


Prozessmanagement und Qualitätsmanagement Software QMS/IMS
https://www.scodi.ch
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521200 is a reply to message #521177] Tue, 16 March 2010 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
If you don't mind, could you log this as a documentation issue for
Buckminster ("troubleshooting tip Hudson out of memory")?

Regards
- henrik

On 3/16/10 5:19 PM, Flavio Donzé wrote:
> Today I encountered a Java heap space problem, just want to share the
> solution.
>
> I kept on getting "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" in my
> free style job (running buckminster build command).
> So I added -Xms1024m to my hudson startup call:
> java -Xms1024m hudson.war
>
> Still the same problem. After messing around with all those vm arguments
> -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m I saw in my
> task manager that there is another java task running.
> Buckminster is running in its own JVM, which totally makes sense. I was
> hacking around at the wrong place.
>
> So to solve this issue, open your free style job and add -Xmx1024m to
> "Run Buckminster" => "Advanced Options" => "JVM Argumente"
>
> Problem solved...
>
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521235 is a reply to message #521177] Tue, 16 March 2010 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flavio Donze is currently offline Flavio DonzeFriend
Messages: 211
Registered: July 2009
Location: Switzerland
Senior Member
yes sure, what do you mean by "log this as a documentation issue"?

Rename this thread to "Buckminster ("troubleshooting tip Hudson out of memory")"?

greets
flavio


Prozessmanagement und Qualitätsmanagement Software QMS/IMS
https://www.scodi.ch
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521249 is a reply to message #521235] Tue, 16 March 2010 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I mean log an issue/bug in eclipse bugzilla for
tools->buckminster->documentation.

- henrik

On 3/16/10 9:57 PM, Flavio Donzé wrote:
> yes sure, what do you mean by "log this as a documentation issue"?
>
> Rename this thread to "Buckminster ("troubleshooting tip Hudson out of
> memory")"?
>
> greets
> flavio
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521253 is a reply to message #521249] Tue, 16 March 2010 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flavio Donze is currently offline Flavio DonzeFriend
Messages: 211
Registered: July 2009
Location: Switzerland
Senior Member
done that: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=306102

Prozessmanagement und Qualitätsmanagement Software QMS/IMS
https://www.scodi.ch
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521308 is a reply to message #521177] Wed, 17 March 2010 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Flavio,


just a little hint in case you didn't find that yourself yet:

Am 16.03.2010 17:19, schrieb Flavio Donzé:

>
> So to solve this issue, open your free style job and add -Xmx1024m to
> "Run Buckminster" => "Advanced Options" => "JVM Argumente"
>
> Problem solved...
>

You can also set VM arguments globally for the buckminster installation
instead of redefining them for each build job.
To do so, navigate to the 'configure hudson' page, go the Buckminster
section and enter e.g "-Xmx1024m" as additional startup parameter for
the selected buckminster installation.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521340 is a reply to message #521308] Wed, 17 March 2010 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Johannesburg could you add that to the doc issue so I don't forget
- henrik
Johannes Utzig <mail@jutzig.de> wrote:
> Hi Flavio,
>
>
> just a little hint in case you didn't find that yourself yet:
>
> Am 16.03.2010 17:19, schrieb Flavio Donzé:
>
> >
> > So to solve this issue, open your free style job and add -Xmx1024m
> > to
> > "Run Buckminster" => "Advanced Options" => "JVM Argumente"
> >
> > Problem solved...
> >
>
> You can also set VM arguments globally for the buckminster
> installation instead of redefining them for each build job.
> To do so, navigate to the 'configure hudson' page, go the Buckminster
> section and enter e.g "-Xmx1024m" as additional startup parameter for
> the selected buckminster installation.
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes
>


--
- henrik
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521371 is a reply to message #521340] Wed, 17 March 2010 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Messages: 329
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Henrik

Am 17.03.2010 11:34, schrieb Henrik Lindberg:
> Johannesburg could you add that to the doc issue so I don't forget
> - henrik
> Johannes Utzig<mail@jutzig.de> wrote:

Johannesburg? :P :)

I added a comment for the issue.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: solving java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: "Java heap space" [message #521562 is a reply to message #521371] Wed, 17 March 2010 22:24 Go to previous message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
Messages: 2509
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
IPhone autocorrect.... what can I say :)
....except sorry...

- henrik
On 3/17/10 2:00 PM, Johannes Utzig wrote:
> Hi Henrik
>
> Am 17.03.2010 11:34, schrieb Henrik Lindberg:
>> Johannesburg could you add that to the doc issue so I don't forget
>> - henrik
>> Johannes Utzig<mail@jutzig.de> wrote:
>
> Johannesburg? :P :)
>
> I added a comment for the issue.
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes
Previous Topic:Update Authorized CI problem
Next Topic:error when accessing galileo update site with aggregator
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jul 28 21:43:40 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01964 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top