Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Simple Plugin Deployment(What is the easiest way to deploy two plugins I've developed?)
Simple Plugin Deployment [message #519196] Sun, 07 March 2010 22:58 Go to next message
Rose W. is currently offline Rose W.Friend
Hello All,

I've created two Eclipse plugins that I would like to deploy to my team. What is the simplest way to deploy them?

These are the steps I've tried so far:
- Exporting the plugins
- Putting those plugins in the dropins directory (I've tried putting them in dropins/eclipse/plugins/foo.jar, dropins/plugins/foo.jar, and just dropins/foo.jar. None of these locations worked for me).
- Starting Eclipse with -clean

The plugins don't appear to be loaded, and no errors appear in the log about not having finding dependencies. (It is possible that some of their dependencies might be missing in my test deployment; I've tried to check that they're all there, but I was hoping for an error if there's something missing).

I've searched the newsgroups a bit, and so far I haven't had any luck in finding out how to deploy simple plugins aside from the dropins directory. Do I have to create a feature or an update site? Ideally I would like the simplest installation possible, where they can be unzipped into an installed copy of Eclipse.
Re: Simple Plugin Deployment [message #519339 is a reply to message #519196] Mon, 08 March 2010 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sophie Andrieu is currently offline Sophie AndrieuFriend
Hello !
I think the best way is to create an update site (local or not)... and your plugins will be available for your team, they can install them directly with Eclipse...
Sophie
Re: Simple Plugin Deployment [message #520076 is a reply to message #519339] Thu, 11 March 2010 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Sophie,

The Eclipse IDE needs to be automatically with updated from a script when the plugin changes. Individual users will not be installing the plugin or updating it. That is why I was planning to simply unzip the plugin.

Can you point me to a resource for how to update a plugin with a script using a site?

Thank you!
R.
Re: Simple Plugin Deployment [message #521631 is a reply to message #520076] Thu, 18 March 2010 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can see the following page => http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_standalone.html which explains how to run the update manager from command line...

Sophie
Re: Simple Plugin Deployment [message #523639 is a reply to message #521631] Sat, 27 March 2010 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Sophie,

Just to confirm this: in order to create a local update site, I need a web server? That seems like a lot of overhead to deploy plugins internally here, and I doubt I can get that set up.

To avoid that, I tried creating a feature, which worked when I installed it with a version of Eclipse I was using locally, but didn't work when I installed it globally using our scripts.

Is there really no better/easier way?

Thanks!
R.
Re: Simple Plugin Deployment [message #605121 is a reply to message #520076] Thu, 18 March 2010 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can see the following page => http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_standalone.html which explains how to run the update manager from command line...

Sophie
Re: Simple Plugin Deployment [message #605294 is a reply to message #605121] Sat, 27 March 2010 19:44 Go to previous message
Hi Sophie,

Just to confirm this: in order to create a local update site, I need a web server? That seems like a lot of overhead to deploy plugins internally here, and I doubt I can get that set up.

To avoid that, I tried creating a feature, which worked when I installed it with a version of Eclipse I was using locally, but didn't work when I installed it globally using our scripts.

Is there really no better/easier way?

Thanks!
R.
Previous Topic:How to prevent running an operation on compilation error
Next Topic:Need some references for learning modules/facets/servers etc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:31:51 GMT 2024