Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Refresh Package Explorer?
Refresh Package Explorer? [message #515104] Wed, 17 February 2010 17:56 Go to next message
Dave Straayer is currently offline Dave StraayerFriend
Here is my situation: I use Eclipse on a lot of different computers, with workspaces on different local and network drives. Sometimes I want to copy a project from one workspace to another. For example, to copy a file I've checked out on a local drive into a network drive to share with my students.
I can easily copy the subtree associated with the project from one workspace to another, no problem. But when I do, and open up Eclipse pointed to the workspace to which I've copied the subtree, Package Explorer doesn't "see" the project.
I'll just be there is an easy way to do this.
Suggestions?

Dave Straayer
Tacoma Community College
Re: Refresh Package Explorer? [message #515136 is a reply to message #515104] Wed, 17 February 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 2/17/10 12:56 PM, Dave Straayer wrote:
> Here is my situation: I use Eclipse on a lot of different computers,
> with workspaces on different local and network drives. Sometimes I want
> to copy a project from one workspace to another. For example, to copy a
> file I've checked out on a local drive into a network drive to share
> with my students.
> I can easily copy the subtree associated with the project from one
> workspace to another, no problem. But when I do, and open up Eclipse
> pointed to the workspace to which I've copied the subtree, Package
> Explorer doesn't "see" the project. I'll just be there is an easy way to
> do this. Suggestions?

Use Import/Export to move projects from one workspace to another. Select
the Archive File option when exporting, and then "Existing Projects into
Workspace" for the import.

Or better yet, use a SCM repository like CVS or svn.

Hope this helps,
Eric
Re: Refresh Package Explorer? [message #846680 is a reply to message #515136] Mon, 16 April 2012 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Straayer is currently offline David StraayerFriend
Well, it doesn't help all that much. I can FTP over a folder of src, but unless I run Eclipse on the other machine, I can't export. And Export is a cumbersome set of other operations that I usually use for building runnable jar files, so using it for this purpose causes it to "forget" my current jar build configuration.

I don't understand why right-clicking on a src folder or package icon, and clicking or "refresh" or stabbing F5 doesn't cause Eclipse to read the files in the folder, and create or delete items in the Package Explorer appropriately. My students are often downloading demo source code from my workspace, which I keep in a searchable directory on my web space. But they've got to go through extra steps to open the files in Eclipse. Creating a new class with the identical name to a file already in the directory seems to work, but that is cumbersome and error-prone.

Why not add a checkbox somewhere in preferences that says something like "Make F5 refresh src and package icons in Package Explorer.", default it to the current behavior (for whatever reason nobody seems to want F5 to refresh Package Explorer. I don't understand, but, hey, you've probably got a reason). That way, everybody who likes it the way it is now keeps it the way it is. And those of us who are teaching the way I am can get demo code into Package Explorer for ourselves (for grading) and for our students (for demo and trial modification in class).
Re: Refresh Package Explorer? [message #847807 is a reply to message #846680] Tue, 17 April 2012 17:13 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Refresh does update the selected resource in the Package explorer. It will see files added/deleted and update the directory tree appropriately. If it isn't doing that on your system, it is a bug. You need to open up a bug report with reproducible steps to recreate the problem.
Previous Topic:Installed JREs - Could not create the view
Next Topic:H2 & Apache Derby in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:40:15 GMT 2024