Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » No content assist for EL in JSP?
icon8.gif  No content assist for EL in JSP? [message #514174] Fri, 12 February 2010 17:11 Go to next message
bjprog  is currently offline bjprog Friend
I write JSPs that use EL and JSTL expressions. Althought everything gets compiled and works fine there is no content assist for #{blip.blop} oder ${blip.blop}. The exact failure-text: "Content assist not available at the current location". The IDE does also not show any warnings or errors when I use the ELs.

If I write scriplets within the JSP-code in <% %> I get the full assist...

I've tried aready resetting eclipse-properties, reloading, refreshing, project-reorganization, cleaning and reinstalling the WTP-plugin. I've also installed the pure last version of eclipse (eclipse-jee-galileo-SR1-win32)... with no change. It just does't work.

Other plugins do also not help as they require probably some common underlying feature.

I'm frustrated, because I lost plenty of time and like that you just cannot work. It's like using a notepad for coding...

Please give me some hints how to fix it. I do not want to be made to get back to the scriplets era....

Any help is welcome.

Cheers.

Re: No content assist for EL in JSP? [message #514472 is a reply to message #514174] Mon, 15 February 2010 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because a few days have passed since my post and there is no answer, I'd like to ask persons who read it to put at least a comment from their own experience - do you have these problems as well? May be it's not a bug and I'm just missing something? Please give me some hits that wouldn't make me write pure JSPs....

... I know that it worked... I used it five years ago.....

Cheers.
Re: No content assist for EL in JSP? [message #514487 is a reply to message #514472] Mon, 15 February 2010 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Tewksbury is currently offline Ian TewksburyFriend
Can you give me more detail about the context of your content assist?

What type of object is "blip"?

Where are you trying to invoke the content assist? In an empty EL region, part way through the "blip" after the "blip"?

There are many bugs open as far as EL content assist is concerned but some fixes have also gone into WTP 3.2. Which version of WTP are you running on?

Blue Skies,

~Ian

Ian Tewksbury
WTP JavaScript Tools
IBM Rational
-----
“When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Re: No content assist for EL in JSP? [message #514765 is a reply to message #514487] Tue, 16 February 2010 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Which version of WTP are you running on?

As stated I used the last J2EE version available. I uninstalled it already so I cannot tell which WTP-version it used, I have still the zip, but I have no idea how to get the version of the whole plugin... it's been always kind of a mystery to me... in the zip-file I see just many different jars that have something with "wtp" in the name, I don't know how pick out the right one... do you know that?
Quote:

What type of object is "blip"?

It can be whatever. It just symbolizes a defined managed bean; something like:

<jsp:useBean id="blip" class="TheClassGoesHere" scope="application" />

And what I require from the content assist is the usual stuff:
- understanding that ${blip.blop} or #{blip.blop} is not just a text, but EL
- resolving names, incl. managed beans names (as above)
- autocompleting names, types, methods and so on

And to be more accurate I'd like to put here what I meant with "I used it a few years ago" - I meant actually the functuality from the "Nitrox/M7 Workshop JSP Editor (plugin)" [2006], it was bought then by BEA and lastly by Oracle... it tried today to find it and install it, but it went such a long and complicated way through all these companies that it is almost not possible to make it work (split, moved and renamed packages... and so on...). Additionally it got so good hidden by Oracle, that you almost cannot find it. Today it is not up-to-date and not documented.

... sad but I have to code pure scriplets...... I have no time any more. Nevetheless it would good to know that this intuitive "always there" funtionality is possible.
Re: No content assist for EL in JSP? [message #530922 is a reply to message #514765] Sun, 02 May 2010 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeray Santana Borges is currently offline Yeray Santana BorgesFriend
I have the same problem with content assist from web page editor and the managed beans. I can get content assist in EL expressions. My versions:

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.

Build id: 20100218-1602
Mac os cocoa 32

Eclipse Web Developer Tools

Version: 3.1.1.v200908120400-7R77FStEVw2z07WtDz-OZrhL5C-3
Build id: 20100211202452

There are a solution for that?, is a bug?, any help?

I have tried to install wtp 3.1.2 from site update, but after the installation progress I see again in about eclipse the version 3.1.1
Re: No content assist for EL in JSP? [message #530942 is a reply to message #514174] Mon, 03 May 2010 06:39 Go to previous message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
Hi,
As mentioned by Ian in a different thread, Setting the RunTime Target for the project will enable the content assist. Bug 307240 is tracking it.

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Previous Topic: scheme location problem regarding Content assist in xml editor
Next Topic:How do you validate XML with Schema in Eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:13:31 GMT 2024