Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » capability to detach a file tab from the eclipse viewport?
icon5.gif  capability to detach a file tab from the eclipse viewport? [message #510843] Thu, 28 January 2010 19:21 Go to next message
rutherford  is currently offline rutherford Friend
Is there a plugin/swt widget that allows the user to detach say a tabbed java file from the default view in eclipse and allow them to drag it to another part of the screen with basically the same behaviour as a modeless dialog.

for example similar functionality to the tabs in google chrome browser.
Re: capability to detach a file tab from the eclipse viewport? [message #628757 is a reply to message #510843] Fri, 24 September 2010 00:40 Go to previous message
OsamaBinLogin  is currently offline OsamaBinLogin Friend
I just started using Eclipse, and yeah, I'm Jonesing for the ability to use a lot of windows to edit different textfiles (im a mac person).

You can make a new window, on the Mac version go to Windows > New Window. This will make another large clunky Eclipse window, and you can drag tabs into that. One downside is that find/replace is almost independent between the two windows - they each have their own FInd/Replace window, and the Find strings are usually independent. Unless you flip to the other window, make sure your selection is a single caret, then call up that Find window, it'll pick up your other Find string.

right now I'm leaning towards just using a huge Eclipse window with multiple editor panels and tabs.
Previous Topic:Web-service generation fails with UnsupportedClassVersionError exception for WebSphere
Next Topic:Adding project to a classpath
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:47:10 GMT 2024