Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » WTP project 'cannot reference itself' error
WTP project 'cannot reference itself' error [message #504355] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:35 Go to next message
Ian Dickinson is currently offline Ian DickinsonFriend
I have small project consisting of one maven project and two maven modules. One of the modules is a webapp, and I'm using WTP to run all my web applications. Everything has been fine, until today when when the webapp started refusing to compile, citing:

Project 'sdx.client' cannot reference itself

If I remove the following line from the .classpath:

<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.container"/>

my project compiles again. From googling, I believe this is a WTP element, which is why I'm posting this issue here rather than in the m2eclipse forum.

Any ideas why the internal web container should believe that it has a circular reference to itself? Or suggestions as to what I can do about it?

Thanks,
Ian
Re: WTP project 'cannot reference itself' error [message #504377 is a reply to message #504355] Fri, 18 December 2009 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Project 'sdx.client' cannot reference itself

Where did this message appear? If it was in the Problems view, what
Type of problem was it?

--
---
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing
IBM Rational

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: WTP project 'cannot reference itself' error [message #504400 is a reply to message #504355] Fri, 18 December 2009 17:15 Go to previous message
Ian Dickinson is currently offline Ian DickinsonFriend
Hi Nitin,
I have three entries in the Problems view:

Description	Resource	Path	Location	Type
Project 'sdx.client' cannot reference itself	sdx.client		Build path	Build Path Problem
The project cannot be built until build path errors are resolved	sdx.client		Unknown	Java Problem
A cycle was detected in the build path of project 'sdx.client'	sdx.client		Build path	Build Path Problem

(the last one I can convert to a warning through preferences, but it still does allow me to build my project).

If I try to edit the build properties of my project, through 'Project explorer > build path > configure build path ...' I get an error message at the top of the dialogue: "Project 'sdx.client' cannot reference itself" and the OK button is disabled.

Ian
Previous Topic:Debugger (3.4.2) not stopping at breakpoints - known issue?
Next Topic:keyboard shortcut not working for 'Debug Server' and 'Stop Server'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:38:21 GMT 2024