Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » eclipse product export generating invalid eclipse.ini file(?)(the eclipse.ini file that is generated won't run as-is; I have to edit it by hand)
eclipse product export generating invalid eclipse.ini file(?) [message #503327] Fri, 11 December 2009 21:58 Go to next message
Steve H is currently offline Steve HFriend
Hi,

I *thought* I posted already, but after waiting a while I still don't see my post, so I'll re-post. Apologies if this appears twice.

The situation: I'm exporting my RCP product using the eclipse product export wizard + the elta pack. Using galileo, by the way. If I run the exported product, I get problems with various bundles not being resolved. After tinkering & head-scratching, I was able to determine that my eclipse.ini file won't run as-is (i.e. as generated). Here's the generated eclipse.ini file:

-os
${target.os}
-ws
${target.ws}
-arch
${target.arch}
-nl
${target.nl}
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

This looks quite plausible to my eyes, but I'm no expert. However, when I run this, it seems that the variables ${target.os} and such are not properly expanded. If I hack the file to hard-code the target.os, target.arch, and target.ws vars, I can run the exported product. For example:

-os
linux
-ws
gtk
-arch
x86
-nl
${target.nl}
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

This problem appears on both my host platform (from which I'm exporting): linux, as well as the other platform that I am currently targeting (windows). In both cases, I have to hack the generated file in order to run w/o experiencing unresolved bundle errors.

I assume that hacking the file by hand should not be required. Any ideas on what might be wrong, or how to debug it?

Thanks, Steve
Re: eclipse product export generating invalid eclipse.ini file(?) [message #628943 is a reply to message #503327] Fri, 24 September 2010 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan is currently offline RyanFriend
I'm running into the same issue. If I export with the "Generate metadata repository" unchecked, my RCP app doesn't work and I get an eclipse.ini that looks like this:
-os
${target.os}
-ws
${target.ws}
-arch
${target.arch}
-vmargs
-Xmx512m

If I export with the option checked, I get a product that works and an eclipse.ini that looks like this:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.200.v20090519
-os

-ws

-arch

-vmargs
-Xmx512m

I have no use for the generated repository as my app will only be used offline. How do I get the exporter to export the product properly? I'm currently using Eclipse 3.5.2. I've confirmed that this is the reason for the product not working by exporting with and without the box checked, and only copying over the eclipse.ini to the export that didn't work.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2010 20:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eclipse product export generating invalid eclipse.ini file(?) [message #629828 is a reply to message #628943] Wed, 29 September 2010 16:50 Go to previous message
Christophe Fondacci is currently offline Christophe FondacciFriend
Hello,

Have a different problem, but I think what you mentioned corresponds to the following bug :
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=278598

If so, it is fixed in 3.6.1.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Christophe.
http://www.nextep-softwares.com
Previous Topic:IMemento: No putLong() / getLong() methods?
Next Topic:eclipse workebench plugin start problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:14:54 GMT 2024