Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Separate Workspace files from project completely?(I don't want .project files in my project directory!)
Separate Workspace files from project completely? [message #502278] Mon, 07 December 2009 15:11 Go to next message
James Carr is currently offline James CarrFriend
I have a project directory separate from my workspace, but when I import projects it seems to still generate the eclipse artifacts (.project, .settings, etc) inside the project directory.

I want those to be generated in the workspace instead, not in the project dir. Any idea how to do that?

Thanks
Re: Separate Workspace files from project completely? [message #502280 is a reply to message #502278] Mon, 07 December 2009 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

the .project and .settings will always be inside your <project> directory, even if you create a project in the workspace but point it to another location on your file system. There are a couple of reasons, like this information needs to be captured in the VCS.

The only way to do what you want would be to create a project in the workspace, and then start adding linked folders and linked source folders to your "real" project in some other location on the file system.

That way the top level of the <project> is pointing to a directory in the workspace and won't effect your external directory tree.

PW

Re: Separate Workspace files from project completely? [message #502284 is a reply to message #502280] Mon, 07 December 2009 15:30 Go to previous message
James Carr is currently offline James CarrFriend
Thanks... I was curious as to what was going on. Smile
Previous Topic:How do I force Eclipse to download entire bundle(s) my plug-in depends on?
Next Topic:Usage data reports?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:06:08 GMT 2024