Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » add "Available Software Site"(What is the "right" way to add custom "Available Software Site" in an Eclipse product)
add "Available Software Site" [message #501725] Thu, 03 December 2009 15:36 Go to next message
Manuel Selva is currently offline Manuel SelvaFriend
After playing with the new P2 UI it seems the custom update sites I am adding by hand are added in the 2 following files in my configuration directory:

./p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/SDKProfil e.profile/.data/.settings/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.re pository.prefs
./p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/SDKProfil e.profile/.data/.settings/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.re pository.prefs

I am wondering if the right way to add these custom sites in our own product build on top of eclipse is to modify these files in the package we deliver to our customers ??

What is the difference between these 2 files, in my case they only differ in the time stamp line

Thanks in advance

Manu

Re: add "Available Software Site" [message #503004 is a reply to message #501725] Thu, 10 December 2009 14:57 Go to previous message
Manuel Selva is currently offline Manuel SelvaFriend
Hi there,

I'll answer myself to my (silly) question here. After long hours trying to catch the main P2 concepts I finally get it and I am able to answer this question.

Manu, you just have to add the following lines in p2.inf file collocated to your yourProduct.product file:

instructions.configure=\
addRepository(type:0,location:file${#58}/C${#58}/tmp/STRepo, name:STWorkbench General Interest Plugins);\
addRepository(type:1,location:file${#58}/C${#58}/tmp/STRepo, name:STWorkbench General Interest Plugins);

This will add by default a repository located in C:/tmp/STRepo. It's great !!!!!

Buttttttttt .......... i have now an other problem. The ideal solution for us would be to deliver in our product package (that is unfortunately a Zip file) this custom update site gathering several useful sites (Vim support to eclipse for example) and to have this site available for end users.

Unfortunately I am not sure if it's doable !!! The p2.inf file is used while building (through a P2 director call from the PDE Build) our zip package. It's impossible for us at this time to set a future unknown user repository location !!!

The only solution I can see are the following ones:

1- Publish this local update site on a custome available web server (maintain by myself Crying or Very Sad )

2- Do not deliver a zip file but provide instead a P2 repository and a way for client to install from this repository (using p2 admin agent ... ???)

May be I miss something here ? Any suggestions, experiences feedback, thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Manu

Previous Topic:Running OSGi-DS as an "Eclipse Application"
Next Topic:Unknown error: "xxx" is not applicable to the current configuration and will not be instal
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:49:44 GMT 2024