Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008
[CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501182] Tue, 01 December 2009 12:57 Go to next message
Lothar Werzinger is currently offline Lothar WerzingerFriend
Messages: 153
Registered: July 2009
Location: Bay Area
Senior Member
Hi,

I tried to migrate my test application to use the latest CDO build
(N200911221008).

However when I start the application it can no longer connect to the running
cdo server (did work with CDO 2.0.0) and I get a

org.eclipse.net4j.channel.ChannelException:
org.eclipse.net4j.util.concurrent.TimeoutRuntimeException: Registration
timeout after 10000 milliseconds

I checked with netstat and I don't see the cdo server listening on the
configured port 2036, so that would explain the exception. Did the cdo
server change between 2.0 and 3.0 in a way that it no longer listens to the
port configured in cdo-server.xml?

The output of the cdo server looks as always but it does not listen:
[INFO] CDO server starting
[INFO] Detected crash
[INFO] Repaired after crash: maxObjectID=1, maxMetaID=428
[INFO] No user manager configured. Users will not be authenticated
[INFO] CDO server started


Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501195 is a reply to message #501182] Tue, 01 December 2009 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Messages: 524
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Lothar,

this error is familiar to me, and from what I can barely recall, I'll
provide some guesses:

- You might get this exception when the client and server are not using
the same communication protocol. I practice this means that you are not
running the right client version for the cdo server on execution (or
viceversa). For instance, check that you are not trying to connect a CDO
3.0 client to a CDO 2.0 server, or viceversa, or even that you are
trying to connect a CDO 3.0 M1 client to a CDO 3.0 M2 servers. Things
like that might cause such problem.

- That you are using a URI that defines a repository that is no longer
defined. Please check your cdo-server.xml file.

Please note that the database schemas have changed slightly from CDO 2.0
to CDO 3.0, what implies that your data will no longer be valid. I would
suggest you to clean up the your database schema.

Please let me know it the above helps.

Cheers,
Víctor.


Lothar Werzinger escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to migrate my test application to use the latest CDO build
> (N200911221008).
>
> However when I start the application it can no longer connect to the running
> cdo server (did work with CDO 2.0.0) and I get a
>
> org.eclipse.net4j.channel.ChannelException:
> org.eclipse.net4j.util.concurrent.TimeoutRuntimeException: Registration
> timeout after 10000 milliseconds
>
> I checked with netstat and I don't see the cdo server listening on the
> configured port 2036, so that would explain the exception. Did the cdo
> server change between 2.0 and 3.0 in a way that it no longer listens to the
> port configured in cdo-server.xml?
>
> The output of the cdo server looks as always but it does not listen:
> [INFO] CDO server starting
> [INFO] Detected crash
> [INFO] Repaired after crash: maxObjectID=1, maxMetaID=428
> [INFO] No user manager configured. Users will not be authenticated
> [INFO] CDO server started
>
>
> Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501216 is a reply to message #501195] Tue, 01 December 2009 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lothar Werzinger is currently offline Lothar WerzingerFriend
Messages: 153
Registered: July 2009
Location: Bay Area
Senior Member
Víctor Roldán Betancort wrote:

Comments below:

> Lothar,
>
> this error is familiar to me, and from what I can barely recall, I'll
> provide some guesses:
>
> - You might get this exception when the client and server are not using
> the same communication protocol.

Why would Net4J/CDO not tell the client about a protocol mismatch and use a
timeout exception?

> I practice this means that you are not
> running the right client version for the cdo server on execution (or
> viceversa). For instance, check that you are not trying to connect a CDO
> 3.0 client to a CDO 2.0 server, or viceversa, or even that you are
> trying to connect a CDO 3.0 M1 client to a CDO 3.0 M2 servers. Things
> like that might cause such problem.

I start both server and client from the same target platform, so they should
use exactly the same plugins.

> - That you are using a URI that defines a repository that is no longer
> defined. Please check your cdo-server.xml file.

Not sure what you want to tell me. Would I not get an error message if
something is wrong with the cdo-server.xml file?

> Please note that the database schemas have changed slightly from CDO 2.0
> to CDO 3.0, what implies that your data will no longer be valid. I would
> suggest you to clean up the your database schema.

I did drop the schema and let the cdo server create a new (empty) one.

> Please let me know it the above helps.

Unfortunately not. Is there anything I could debug to check why the server
does not listen on the configured TCP port? Where would I have to look for
that?

> Cheers,
> Víctor.

Thanks!
Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501221 is a reply to message #501216] Tue, 01 December 2009 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lothar Werzinger is currently offline Lothar WerzingerFriend
Messages: 153
Registered: July 2009
Location: Bay Area
Senior Member
I deleted the plugin selection from the launch configuration and reselected
the needed plugins and now it works. Go figure.

Thanks anyway!

Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501227 is a reply to message #501216] Tue, 01 December 2009 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Messages: 524
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Lothar,

please paste here your client connection code. I wonder if it could be
related with IFailOverStrategy. It's an old concept that came from 2.0
that is no longer used in 3.0, but's still there and not really well
tested. I recall that I had the same problem when using it while
migrating to latest versions.


Some comments below:

Lothar Werzinger escribió:
> Víctor Roldán Betancort wrote:
>
> Comments below:
>
>> Lothar,
>>
>> this error is familiar to me, and from what I can barely recall, I'll
>> provide some guesses:
>>
>> - You might get this exception when the client and server are not using
>> the same communication protocol.
>
> Why would Net4J/CDO not tell the client about a protocol mismatch and use a
> timeout exception?

If some part of the communication channel is waiting for some data that
never comes, it might be the case. As I said, just guessing, and trying
to discard the source of the problem.

>> - That you are using a URI that defines a repository that is no longer
>> defined. Please check your cdo-server.xml file.
>
> Not sure what you want to tell me. Would I not get an error message if
> something is wrong with the cdo-server.xml file?
>

I meant that checking that your custom cdo-server.xml configuration
didn't get lost and your were trying to connect to a repository that is
not defined there. However, I checked it out and it seems it now
provides a nice error message, so this is not the problem.

>> Please note that the database schemas have changed slightly from CDO 2.0
>> to CDO 3.0, what implies that your data will no longer be valid. I would
>> suggest you to clean up the your database schema.
>
> I did drop the schema and let the cdo server create a new (empty) one.
>
>> Please let me know it the above helps.
>
> Unfortunately not. Is there anything I could debug to check why the server
> does not listen on the configured TCP port? Where would I have to look for
> that?
>

That could be another point. This was factored out in 3.0, into a new
plugin:

org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j

Have you checked that your server launch configuration has this plugin?

Cheers,
Víctor.

>> Cheers,
>> Víctor.
>
> Thanks!
> Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501228 is a reply to message #501221] Tue, 01 December 2009 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Messages: 524
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Then is probably related with missing org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j.

(I just reproduced it here)

Glad you solved it.

Cheers,
Víctor.

Lothar Werzinger escribió:
> I deleted the plugin selection from the launch configuration and reselected
> the needed plugins and now it works. Go figure.
>
> Thanks anyway!
>
> Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501237 is a reply to message #501228] Tue, 01 December 2009 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lothar Werzinger is currently offline Lothar WerzingerFriend
Messages: 153
Registered: July 2009
Location: Bay Area
Senior Member
Víctor Roldán Betancort wrote:

> Then is probably related with missing org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j.
> (I just reproduced it here)

I guess that was the case.

Just being curious, why does the server not have a dependency to
org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j if it is required? If it had one then it
would be automatically selected by the launch configuration editor.

> Glad you solved it.

Me too :-)

> Cheers,
> Víctor.

Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501252 is a reply to message #501237] Tue, 01 December 2009 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Messages: 524
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Lothar Werzinger escribió:
> Víctor Roldán Betancort wrote:
>
>> Then is probably related with missing org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j.
>> (I just reproduced it here)
>
> I guess that was the case.
>
> Just being curious, why does the server not have a dependency to
> org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j if it is required? If it had one then it
> would be automatically selected by the launch configuration editor.

Well, the transport layer of the CDO-server is decoupled, so one could
use something different to Net4j. For instance, the ECF project. As you
might expect, this refactor also happened at the client side: you have
org.eclipse.emf.cdo.net4j :D

This way CDO is not tied to the Net4j framework. This was not the case
in 2.0, and has been introduced in 3.0.

>
>> Glad you solved it.
>
> Me too :-)
>
>> Cheers,
>> Víctor.
>
> Lothar
Re: [CDO] problems with cdo server of N200911221008 [message #501395 is a reply to message #501252] Wed, 02 December 2009 07:35 Go to previous message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Messages: 6451
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Guys,

Sorry that I drop in late. You're right, The usage of Net4j transport is
optional in CDO since 3.0. Hence "Select required plugins" does not add
it anymore.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper



Víctor Roldán Betancort schrieb:
> Lothar Werzinger escribió:
>> Víctor Roldán Betancort wrote:
>>
>>> Then is probably related with missing org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j.
>>> (I just reproduced it here)
>>
>> I guess that was the case.
>>
>> Just being curious, why does the server not have a dependency to
>> org.eclipse.emf.cdo.server.net4j if it is required? If it had one
>> then it
>> would be automatically selected by the launch configuration editor.
>
> Well, the transport layer of the CDO-server is decoupled, so one could
> use something different to Net4j. For instance, the ECF project. As
> you might expect, this refactor also happened at the client side: you
> have org.eclipse.emf.cdo.net4j :D
>
> This way CDO is not tied to the Net4j framework. This was not the case
> in 2.0, and has been introduced in 3.0.
>
>>
>>> Glad you solved it.
>>
>> Me too :-)
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Víctor.
>>
>> Lothar


Previous Topic:[teneo] delete help for newbie
Next Topic:Different Versions same Plug-In
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Nov 21 18:28:55 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02121 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top