Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks(PHP debugging: variable values.)
icon5.gif  eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #500121] Wed, 25 November 2009 04:56 Go to next message
aniss55  is currently offline aniss55 Friend
When I am trying to debug a php web-application it's not showing me the value of the argument variables that's passed to the function. The variable appears as <uninitialized>.

Example:
<?php

$a = 2;
echo "a = " . $a . "<br>";
echo "a*a = " . sqr($a);

function sqr($b) {
	$c=$b;
	echo "c=" . $c . "<br>";
	return $c*$c;
}
?>

when the debugger is inside the function block, it's not showing the value of $c or $b. However it's showing the correct value of $a when on the echo statement on Line 4. Please see screenshot below.

Can anyone help on that. Is this a configuration issue? (I am using xDebug with eclipse)

Thanks!!

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9208/12570252.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 26 November 2009 07:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #505940 is a reply to message #500121] Tue, 05 January 2010 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ezequiel  is currently offline Ezequiel Friend
I had the same problem. I think there's a bug in php 5.3 with xdebug, not completely solved.
This is the link of the bug: http://bugs.xdebug.org/view.php?id=376.

My solution was to use PHP 5.2 and installing xdebug using "pecl install xdebug".
It's also important to activate xdebug as a "zend" extention, adding lines like this to php.ini:

zend_extension=/path/to/xdebug/xdebug.so
xdebug.remote_enable=1
xdebug.remote_autostart=1
xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp
xdebug.remote_host=localhost
xdebug.remote_port=9000
xdebug.remote_mode=req
xdebug.show_local_vars=1
xdebug.show_exception_trace=1

This is for Linux, use the proper dll file for Windows.

Hope this helps.
Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #505983 is a reply to message #500121] Tue, 05 January 2010 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg Martyn is currently offline Greg MartynFriend
I had the same problem when trying to debug a PHP 5.3 server until I installed xdebug from svn trunk. The latest release had the problem with variables showing as uninitialized in the debugger, but the latest xdebug development code apparently fixes that. PHP 5.2 did not experience the same problem.
Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #505989 is a reply to message #505983] Tue, 05 January 2010 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your response.
Can you tell me how to install xdebug from svn trunk? I am using windows and I am not able to compile the code on my computer.
Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #506036 is a reply to message #505989] Tue, 05 January 2010 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dkel50.hotremovemail.com

You will need to compile it yourself.

Dave Kelsey

On 05/01/10 17:57, aniss55 wrote:
> Thanks for your response. Can you tell me how to install xdebug from svn
> trunk? I am using windows and I am not able to compile the code on my
> computer.
Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #506087 is a reply to message #506036] Wed, 06 January 2010 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Dave!!
Do you know any free compiler that I can use to compile on windows machine?
Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #506114 is a reply to message #506087] Wed, 06 January 2010 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dkel50.hotremovemail.com

You can use the microsoft compilers. Check which version you should use
on www.xdebug.org (hopefully there are instructions on how to build it
yourself but I don't know). Microsoft compilers can be found at
msdn.microsoft.com, look for the express edition of C++.

Good luck
Dave Kelsey

On 06/01/10 03:17, aniss55 wrote:
> Thanks Dave!!
> Do you know any free compiler that I can use to compile on windows machine?
Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #537331 is a reply to message #505989] Wed, 02 June 2010 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marco Zirino is currently offline Marco ZirinoFriend
I just installed Xdebug 2.1.0rc1 from xdebug.com and it seems to work great - I now see all variables. The custom installation instructions make it really easy if you're new to linux as I am.

http://xdebug.com/find-binary.php

I'm running
Ubuntu 10.04
PHP Eclipse Gallileo

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2010 04:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: eclipse php debugger not showing variable values withing function blocks [message #538019 is a reply to message #537331] Fri, 04 June 2010 14:13 Go to previous message
Juergen Braukmann is currently offline Juergen BraukmannFriend
Hi all,

same problem and same solution here. Wink
wish I'd looked here earlier - it was much harder to describe the problem and find answers - than just to recompile xdebug....

Jürgen

Previous Topic:AJAX perspective
Next Topic:PHPEclipse installationw woes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:55:15 GMT 2024