Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Standalone Eclipse help won't run from fileserver ClassNotFound - EclipseStarter(Standalone Eclipse help won't run from fileserver java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter)
Standalone Eclipse help won't run from fileserver ClassNotFound - EclipseStarter [message #498562] Tue, 17 November 2009 14:26 Go to next message
Richard Pineger is currently offline Richard PinegerFriend
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting my Standalone Eclipse help to run from anywhere other than the server on which it was created.

Ideally we want to put it on a fileserver - just for the review by a few colleagues. We are reviewing the full functionality, and so it needs to be the standalone help. Unfortunately, once copied to a network drive, it refuses to run. It also refuses to run wherever it is copied such as to people's local disks. We get the following error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter

Since I posted this on eclipse_tw list, I've discovered that it is perfectly OK to unzip a new install of Eclipse to a fileserver and place our documentation plug-in inside it. Why is that different to when I copy the files for our minimal set of plug-ins?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Best regards,
Richard
Re: Standalone Eclipse help won't run from fileserver ClassNotFound - EclipseStarter [message #499087 is a reply to message #498562] Thu, 19 November 2009 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
My guess is that you are not copying all of the files needed to start standalone help. This class comes from org.eclipse.osgi.
Re: Standalone Eclipse help won't run from fileserver ClassNotFound - EclipseStarter [message #499171 is a reply to message #499087] Fri, 20 November 2009 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Pineger is currently offline Richard PinegerFriend
Hi Chris.

I found that by downloading and extracting a full install, copying in my doc plugin and using my start and stop scripts I could get the help to work.

I then used this working install to copy parts (including at one point all the plugins) in and out of my cutdown standalone help install. I didn't have any joy until I copied the following folder from the configuration folder:

org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator

This contains a file called bundles.info which lists the plugins.

Once this file is in place, my standalone help worked.

The question is, do I need to remove lines from this as I remove plugins to make my minimal set?

Richard

[Updated on: Fri, 20 November 2009 09:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Standalone Eclipse help won't run from fileserver ClassNotFound - EclipseStarter [message #499745 is a reply to message #499171] Mon, 23 November 2009 22:22 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
As far as I know you don't need to remove any lines from that file.
Previous Topic:Possible to display image in cheat sheets?
Next Topic:Eclipse Internal Web Browser and Applets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:28:51 GMT 2024