Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE?
icon5.gif  Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #496177] Mon, 09 November 2009 09:50 Go to next message
Torbjørn G. Dahle is currently offline Torbjørn G. DahleFriend
When updating my RCP app which I've moved to P2 (or am trying, at least), the update process seemingly completes successfully, although I'm never asked to restart afterwards. When restarting manually, none of the updates have actually taken effect. Even though the features and plugins have been downloaded to the right locations, the app is not actually updated, and I can run the update again, with the same result.

Each time the update fails, it generates the following entry in workspace/.metadata/.log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 4 2009-11-09 09:21:34.150
!MESSAGE An error occurred while uninstalling
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 0 2009-11-09 09:21:34.150
!MESSAGE session context was:(profile=profile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.pha ses.Uninstall, operand=[R]com.test.products.partyChief.product_root.win32.w in32.x86 1.11.0 --> null, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.ac tions.CleanupzipAction).
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.touchpoint.natives 4 0 2009-11-09 09:21:34.150
!MESSAGE Backup of file c:\export\test\jre\lib\jce.jar failed.
!STACK 0
java.io.IOException: File that was copied to backup could not be deleted: c:\export\test\jre\lib\jce.jar
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.BackupSto re.backup(BackupStore.java:258)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.LazyBacku pStore.backup(LazyBackupStore.java:36)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.C leanupzipAction.cleanupzip(CleanupzipAction.java:86)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.C leanupzipAction.execute(CleanupzipAction.java:30)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.ParameterizedProvisio ningAction.execute(ParameterizedProvisioningAction.java:35)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.Phase.mai nPerform(Phase.java:129)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.Phase.per form(Phase.java:72)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.PhaseSet. perform(PhaseSet.java:44)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.Engine.pe rform(Engine.java:54)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.operations.Pr ovisioningUtil.performProvisioningPlan(ProvisioningUtil.java :389)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.operations.Pr ofileModificationOperation.doExecute(ProfileModificationOper ation.java:61)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.operations.Pr ovisioningOperation.execute(ProvisioningOperation.java:37)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ProvisioningO perationRunner$1.run(ProvisioningOperationRunner.java:94)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

I've found some other mentions of this happening to people, but I haven't found anyone mentioning what the problem could be.
Re: Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #496181 is a reply to message #496177] Mon, 09 November 2009 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Torbjørn G. Dahle is currently offline Torbjørn G. DahleFriend
Further info: It seems this is connected not to whatever JRE is running, but rather to the update trying to bundle the JRE again when deploying. If I run the app on a different JRE (by changing the ini file), everything will work just fine. Every time I update the product it will delete the jre folder and install a new one. This seems like strange behavior, though. Shouldn't the JRE be left alone when updating?

Re: Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #498706 is a reply to message #496177] Wed, 18 November 2009 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vitaly  is currently offline Vitaly Friend
Hi.
Any luck with the problem?

I am facing the same here. If I delete the 'jre' dir before update then it recreates the dir and completes successfully.

Interestingly, I cannot disable embedding of JRE by removing check mark from *.product->Launch->Execution environment - it generates 'jre' dir anyways. Maybe it has something to do with the subj problem?

Not sure if it is important, but I am trying to perform 'headless update on startup' in my product (using P2Util class from tutorials:
http:// wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Adding_Self-Update_to_an_RCP_App lication#Headless_Updating_on_Startup and http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/p2_updates_tutorial/)
Re: Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #525689 is a reply to message #496177] Wed, 07 April 2010 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christophe Olivier is currently offline Christophe OlivierFriend
Did you find any solution on this issue ?

I'm facing exactly the same here and I tried the Vitaly work-around, which is working fine but which is not really a convenient solution.

Is there already a bug reported on this issue or are we doing somthing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
thx
Re: Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #525691 is a reply to message #498706] Wed, 07 April 2010 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Ebert is currently offline Ralf EbertFriend
Hi,

> Interestingly, I cannot disable embedding of JRE by removing check mark
> from *.product->Launch->Execution environment - it generates 'jre' dir
> anyways. Maybe it has something to do with the subj problem?

that is

307269: Product Configuration editor doesn't respect no execution environment selection
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=307269

Greetings,

Ralf

--
http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/
http://twitter.com/ralfebert/
Re: Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #543876 is a reply to message #525689] Wed, 30 June 2010 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Casey Marshall is currently offline Casey MarshallFriend
Same exact issue here! Updating my product from 3.4.2 to 3.5.2 target. Trying to get our first release with p2 out the door.

Knowing how Windows likes to lock open files, I'm hoping instead there's a way to tell p2 to simply skip updating the rootfiles in a product update. That would be enough update capability for me to release my product.

Is there a way to do this with the p2.inf? I read the documentation on custom metadata, but no idea how it applies to a real-world scenario in an RCP app.

Failing that, I might patch a p2 plugin to skip over the problem. That'll be my last resort -- I can't have update capability broken on Windows.

I posted this issue to p2-dev, see http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/p2-dev/msg03239.html
Re: Update of P2 product fails trying to delete JRE? [message #543905 is a reply to message #543876] Thu, 01 July 2010 04:14 Go to previous message
Casey Marshall is currently offline Casey MarshallFriend
Found bugzilla bug for this one, voted on it, and commented with a workaround hack if you *really* need to ship as bad as I did. Cheers!

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=300812#c11
Previous Topic:Site Generation
Next Topic:Setting configuration\org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator during build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:32:14 GMT 2024